Author Topic: James Levy's 25 caliber flint ** added nose cap photo **  (Read 12632 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
James Levy's 25 caliber flint ** added nose cap photo **
« on: September 25, 2008, 11:55:27 PM »
This is the new rifle I was asking James about. Flints are new to him but he took the plunge and this is to be his new squirrel rifle. I will let him tell you all about it. I was able to handle it at the CLA show and its a beauty.

**added nose cap photo**

Dennis
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:39:35 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Levy

Re: James Levy's 25 caliber flint
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:20:07 AM »
It took me a while to catch up with you under a different category.  The nice southern squirrel rifle was built for me by Billy Harkins a resident of Blairsville, GA.  Like Dennis, Billy is a descendant of the Gillespie gunmakers through his father's side of the family.  I traded woodsrunner the J. P. Sauer 16 ga. dbl. (the one Rich has been dragging under his house after water moccasins) and in return he had Billy build me the flintlock squirrel rifle.  It is .25 cal. (as yet unfired) with a swamped 48" barrel by Ed Rayl.  The quarter sawn curly maple was supplied by Freddie Harrison.  The lock and triggers were by Jim Chambers and the barrel was let in by Fred Miller.  Billy did all of the other stock work and forged the buttplate and the triggerguard along with making the rr pipes and pouring a really nice pewter nosecap.  It's a treasure and now I have to get out and learn how to shoot it.

James Levy

Levy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:24:09 AM »
Dennis, I almost forgot..........Thanks for posting the pictures of the rifle for me.

James Levy

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 02:45:38 AM »
Wow, that is a beautiful rifle.  Hang in there, you will learn to shoot it!

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 12:56:18 PM »
James - that is one beautiful rifle. 

If this is your only flinter you ever get (although that is unlikely once you get hooked) you can be proud of having one that can stand up with any gun out there.  Just a really good example of good lines, nice parts, fit, and finish. It captures that "something" in its looks that draws people to the sleek original mountain rifle.

Guy

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »
Great looking rifle!  She's sleek and slender.  Great example of a Appalachia Mt. squirrel rifle.  Simply a thing of beauty.
Thanks for sharing. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:46:59 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 04:10:55 PM »
Sqwerl's will die, at the sight of that beauty.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Levy

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 04:44:16 PM »
Thanks for the kind word fellas.  It's a rare evening that I don't take it out of it's case and admire it.  Billy was justly proud of how it turned out.  I carried it around to show to Freddie Harrison, Ed Rayl, Jim Chambers. and Fred Miller and thanked them for their contributions.  As I was carrying the rifle around, I was walked down by three different people who either wanted to look at it, find out what it was (style), or wanted to know if it was for sale.  I took their interest as a compliment.  I might be able to make a trip to the range this weekend.  I want the squirrels to say, "take me....take me".

James Levy

eagle24

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 04:56:28 PM »
Beautifull rifle!  I got to see it in person and handle it at the CLA show as well and it is a dandy.  Billy has some serious natural talent.  You guys need to post a close up of the poured muzzle treatment, it was really sweet.

Scott Brush

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 07:57:34 PM »
That's a very pretty rifle James!  So slender and graceful and what a beautiful piece of wood.  My eye is drawn to that comb, very nice work!

I'd love to see a closer shot of the nose too.

I better get out and split some more wood soon.

Scott

Offline gibster

Re: James Levy's 25 caliber flint ** added nose cap photo **
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 12:50:33 AM »
That's a great looking rifle you have.  I'm very interested in know how it shoots and what load you settle on.  I am still working up a load for my .25 caliber flinter.  Right now, 20 grains of 3f is shooting pretty good.  I'm using "F" buckshot (.221) with .020 patching.  I've also found that it groups tighter with a slightly fowled barrel than with a really clean barrel.  That ball/patch combo is not quite as tight as I would like, and will try a little thicker patching next time I am at the range.  I can load about 6 - 7 times without wiping the bore with no problems with loading.  But after about 5 shots, accuracy seems to go downhill.  I would go to a little bigger ball, but I had to buy 8-pounds of the buckshot which equates to a LOT of balls ;D.  Anyway, it's a blast to shoot and very inexpensive.  Keep us informed on the shooting.
Gibster

J.D.

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 04:44:22 AM »
That sure is a long, lean, graceful, beauty of a rifle.  Great architecture.
That is gonna be one squirrel killing machine.

Offline cable

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 02:20:15 AM »
man, is that one elegant rifle!~  green with envy.

Madcaster

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 08:13:15 AM »
I LOVE this rifle!

Online rsells

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 08:26:09 AM »
James,
A great looking rifle in the style that is so close to several of us.  Billy is a good guy and has done a great job with your rifle.  Let us know how it shoots.
                                                                                              Roger Sells

Michael

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 05:20:59 PM »
James,

Nice rifle!!!!  Now all you need is a good English trade gunto go with it!!

Michael

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 05:53:18 PM »
Beautiful rifle!  Can you post a close up of that nose cap!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Levy

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 09:59:38 PM »
Sequatchie Rifle:

Dennis Glazener was kind enough to post the picutures of my new rifle (last year) and he may have a better picture of the poured pewter nosecap.  Billy Harkins did a great job on it (all).  If you contact Dennise he may have a better picture of the cap still in his electronic possesion.  Even though I am new to flintlocks, I used it all last year with good results on the local squirrel population.  The season starts next  month and I hope to be ready for them.

James Levy     

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 12:12:36 AM »
Another beautiful N GA gun!!  Very nice!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 02:37:28 AM »
James, sorry but I only have the photos shown. If I had another of the nosecap I don't have it now.

Yes Billy did a nice job on Jame's rifle. Billy comes from a long line of gun makers, he descends from the Gillespie's of NC/GA.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 06:15:22 AM »
It sure is an interesting rifle- don't see too many 48 inch barrels!  Does anyone have Billy's contact information?

James, do you have a problem with fouling with such a small diameter bore?  What about broken ramrods?

I just received my copy of "The Gillespie Gun Makers of East Fork NC" and appreciate this rifle even more after reading it from sover to cover Saturday morning!  Thanks Dennis!

Bill
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Levy

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 10:17:30 PM »
Billy Harkins can be reached at:

Billy Harkins
Box 4078 V. Harkins Rd.
Blairsville, GA 30512

706-745-9405

He's been out hunting wild boar with his Grandad's muzzleloader and turned his ankle.  You might be able to catch him at home.

I haven't had any trouble with the 1/4" rr, but I'm very careful with it and don't push from very far above the muzzle.  I don't usually have to worry about charging squirrels the way Billy does with the boar hogs.  If I clean the petroleum oil out of the boar with alcohol and run a patch with Wonder Lube on it down the barrel, then I have shot as many as 10 shots without having to clean.

James Levy

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 01:56:41 AM »
Glad that I got Billy started making fine flintlock rifles! That's MY contribution to our sport or whatever it is! He is truly one of the last of the pure old Mountain Boys! He and I are from the same north Georgia Mountain County, and I "discovered" him really by accident while trying to trade him out of an Airedale bear dog! When I showed him my little flintlock squirrel rifle that day, he held it, turned it, looked at it, backed the hammer, etc, and finally after about 4-5 minutes said "I can make one of these"! That's how he got started, and he's made an excellent builder!