Author Topic: Any Somerset County, PA Builders Builders Out There?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Ats5331

Any Somerset County, PA Builders Builders Out There?
« on: July 05, 2021, 06:18:01 AM »
Saw an old post with a similar message.

My family has old ties to the Somerset County, PA area. Would love to get a decent looking Somerset rifle put together to have in the family again..

It is a very interesting school, as there are diverse styles within it. I would love to have a conversation with a builder who could take this on...

Feel free to PM me and we can chat! I have a barrel, lock, and stock blank (with barrel inlet and RR channel drilled) already. 3-3.5 K for labor (can talk further about this) and I can purchase parts.

Happy Fourth!

Offline rjpalmer

Re: Any Somerset County, PA Builders Builders Out There?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 11:02:36 AM »
There is Stephen Miller a longrifle builder in nearby Bedford, Bedford County. His website can be found on Facebook under Miller's Olde Roxbury Store or you can find his shop listed under BV Crafts also on Facebook. His work is outstanding. You may also want to look at his wife Sarah's leatherwork. Stephen and Sarah also have sundry supplies for blackpower folks in their store including bear grease and bear oil that Sarah renders herself in her store.
You will be very pleased if you check out the work of these 2 talented people.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 02:01:34 PM »
Come to this year's Somerset Mountain Craft Days, September 10, 11, 12.  They will be auctioning a reproduction of a Dunmeyer pistol along with a lot of other items.  Here are some photos of the pistol.

Jim

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 07:25:11 PM »
PM sent.
Tom C.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 05:56:51 PM »
 I have an unfinished Somerset rifle in my stash. I started it years ago when a good friend bought a beautiful Bedford at a rendezvous. The seller was also the builder, and he assured the new owner that the gun was a modern copy of an existing antique, only differing in that it was flint, and not a percussion conversion like the original.
 The same seller had a Somerset rifle on his rack as well. It actually had its maple stock cut from the same piece of wood as my friends Bedford. I wanted it desperately but simply couldn’t afford it. I got a piece of nice maple, and a barrel, and some furniture, and actually started to work on it, but found so few examples of Somerset rifles use as inspiration, that I lost interest. I am now inclined to dig it out, and finish it, if I can find some pictures of Somerset rifles to get inspiration from.

Hungry Horse

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 08:30:01 PM »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 09:12:51 PM »
Thanks a lot. I’ll go have a look, and hopefully find a Somerset gun that will work with the parts I have.

Hungry Horse

Offline t.caster

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 12:17:26 AM »
Allen, you don't want a Somerset Co., how about building the Griffon rifle by Oerter in Christians spring! LOL
Tom C.

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 02:18:02 AM »
T.Caster--yeah, who could ever make that jump haha :)?