Author Topic: coating threads on breech plug??  (Read 11297 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
coating threads on breech plug??
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »
This may have been discussed, but I didn't find it.  When you install a breech plug what if anything do you use to coat the threads? 

Is this done to make the plug removable in the future?   Is it to protect the threads?  I was thinking of a light greasebut thought I'd ask first.

Regards,
PLetch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Wyoming Mike

Re: coating threads on breech plug??
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 05:25:31 PM »
I use red Loc-Tite.  I don't use it because I'm afraid of the breechplug backing out.  I use it to seal and protect the threads.  A little heat and the breechplug comes right out if you need to do it.  I use the same stuff on touch hole liner threads for the same reasons.

Offline Pete Allan

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 06:08:01 PM »
I look at it the same way as putting in a spark plug. If you don't use some kind of lube the threads could cease or tare then you could end up sawing the end of the barrel off or like a spark plug drilling the dam thing out and rethreading -- if there is enough wall thickness :o

Greg Field

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »
Anti-sieze compound.

Offline ehoff

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
I use anti-sieze compound also, just go easy on the stuff or it'll get messy. Like the one old add said "Just a dab will do ya"

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 07:08:04 PM »
I have used liberal applications of anti seize, but had problems browning and bluing later on. The darn stuff keeps migrating out of the joint bewixt barrel and plug.

grease is good. anti is good, in moderation.

I use a white lithium assembly grease, available at autoparts stores, for engine assembly. comes in a toothpaste sized squeeze tube. Nice and thick, non runny. Good for high pressure applications.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 07:40:18 PM »
I wipe them with beeswax. Or sometimes use RIG, that's an anti-sieze grease isn't it? Whatever is handy at the time.
Tom C.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 07:52:30 PM »
Tom, I brown all the parts that need browning, and then apply a mix of Vaseline and graphite to the threads and in she goes. I've tried to brown a barrel with the breech in before, and get the same result as you describe.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Birddog6

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »
I use AntiSeize, but put it INSIDE the barrel, not on the plug or it will migrate & mess up the browning proceedure.  You use VERY little, on a Q-tip & dab a couple of places inside the threads .

Before I brown a barrel I wash it real good there with brake drum cleaner & have had no issues with browning.  Rice uses what looks like copper no-lox or copper gasket sealant on their breechplugs.  Usually by the time I am done I have it all of there so I use the antiseize again as I always do.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »
This may have been discussed, but I didn't find it.  When you install a breech plug what if anything do you use to coat the threads? 

Is this done to make the plug removable in the future?   Is it to protect the threads?  I was thinking of a light greasebut thought I'd ask first.

Regards,
PLetch

I use STP for fitting.
It allows the metal to slide on metal better being a form of EP lube.
If the breech is properly fitted  the threads generally need no protection.
Though a 5/8 threaded 54 needs the threads sealed.
I started using STP for fitting barrels to BPCRs and use it for everything or that sort now.

It would take a lot of "sealing" to cover this fouling trap. This from a barrel I have replaced for reasons unrelated to the breeching. But removing the breech was informative.  Note that it did not rust under the fouling which was oil soaked. The owner needs some instruction in cleaning process. But the rebate in front of threads is really not cleanable regardless and will trap oil even if it was clean..

Dan

This is how the face of a 5/8" breech in a 50 caliber barrel should look. Note the "print" on the end of the plug from the bore showing the lands and grooves.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »
+how many on the Anti-sieze compound
David veith
David Veith

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »
I use Birchwood Casey

Choke Tube Lube
 Prevents stuck choke tubes caused by corrosion, high stress of steel shot loads, extreme temperatures and pressure from repeated trap and skeet shooting. Withstands heat and prevents seizure even at extreme temperatures up to 2000°F. Provides maximum lubrication against friction and excellent corrosion protection from rain and salt water. Anti-seize lubricating compound guarantees ease in choke tube insertion and removal for all regular and stainless steel tubes. Excels as a universal lubricant and eliminates galling on stainless steel. Excellent for use on muzzleloaders, breech plugs and nipples to prevent seizing.

Product #   Description   Price   Order
40015 -CTL   Choke Tube Lube - 3/4 oz   $7.20
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 03:39:35 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.  The barrel is back together with white lithium grease applied sparingly.  Everything seems fine.  Once again this forum is a superior source of knowledge.  Along with the great advice comes a high level of confidence that the information you get is tried and true. 
My compliments,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

JBlk

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »
They used chalk on manifold bolts years ago on cars to keep them from seizing.I don't know why the same thing wouldn't work on breech plugs.

J.D.

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 06:01:05 PM »
Someone, somewhere suggested coating threads with milk of magnesia. I suspect that it would have the same effect as chalk. Either would eliminate bleeding of oil onto the barrel during browning or bluing.

God bless
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:03:25 PM by J.D. »

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
Bob Hoyt recommends the use of plumbers teflon tape & I find thst it really works, no matter how long the plug is installed it won't freeze in place. Works great. Stan

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
I do like the teflon idea.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Bob Mac

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 01:45:52 AM »
I had the same sugggestion from Bob Hoyt. You do have to be smarter than the tape.

ghchristian

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 02:05:51 AM »
Well I didn't see it on here so I"ll put my two cents worth in. I have been using Oatey pipe joint compound for years. It seals up good and I have took a few out a few years later and it dosen't seize up.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 02:30:40 AM »
I use graphite mixed with bees wax.  Warm the bees wax until liquid, pour in the graphite and mix well.  Apply to the male thread of the plug that has been pre-heated and screw in.  Warm the breech a little with a torch muzzle down for a minute and then set asside with muzzle up until cool.  Works like a charm!

Best Regards,

JMC