Author Topic: Looking for Information - Wm Stephens Rifle  (Read 1520 times)

cobramech

Looking for Information - Wm Stephens Rifle
« on: July 12, 2021, 03:44:32 PM »
Just purchased an antique American long rifle and am hoping to get some illumination on it. "Wm Stephens" is present on the lockplate and "STEPHENS" is marked on the barrel. It's clear that this was originally a flintlock, from the modifications done to the lockplate and barrel to accommodate the percussion mechanism.

If my cursory google search is to be believed, the best bet for this maker would be William S. Stephens of KY who came to the US in about 1828.

Barrel is ~42", overall rifle is ~53". The stock appears to be decorated with faux-curly maple striping.

Can anyone enlighten me further on the potential history of this rifle? Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 03:55:16 PM by cobramech »

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Looking for Information - Wm Stephens Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 04:56:16 PM »
 I think she’s always been a percussion. I see no signs of plugged holes in the lock plate, or interruptions in the engraving. I do think the percussion lock may have served on a former rifle, or the drum may have been changed to account for the rough work in the nipple area.

Hungry Horse

cobramech

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 05:56:24 PM »
Good to know. As a newcomer to this area of collecting, what would you look for to point out that something was converted to percussion as opposed to originating as percussion?

If my google-research is correct, this having always been percussion would make more sense with the timeline of that gunsmith.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 06:31:38 PM »
 Usually the anchor pin hole, and screw hole for the frizzen spring are plugged but not really hidden in any way, the same goes for the frizzen bolt hole. Occasionally you will find a conversion that hides the flint origins of the gun quite well, but a look at the back of the lock usually tells the story.

Hungry Horse

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 06:55:06 PM »
I posted this picture in another thread, and it might help with your question.

So, this is a very typical conversion, on one of the guns I have.
On the front end of the lock, the two red arrows are where the Frizzen spring was mounted, and the mounting holes are now plugged.
Above that, the small black arrow is the threaded hole were the frizzen was mounted, now plugged also. The Pan would have been where the percussion drum is now.
The bolt end at the far right hand side is the end of the forward lock plate mounting bolt.
The dark circle between the two red arrows is the end of the Main Spring mounting pin.

Also, on an original flint gun, as on this rifle, there is a relief cut out in the stock wood for clearance for the flint cock. And any engraved border line on the lock plate generally stops around the area where the Frizzen spring was originally. 

Click on the picture for a larger image.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 07:02:17 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 08:00:31 PM »
The rifle appears to be by the father, William Stephens Sr., and based on its narrow guard with the second spur, has always been a percussion rifle, never flint. The narrow guard and narrow butt help date it to the 1850s, and probably place it in Kentucky during the family's pre-Civil War production years. William Sr. closed his gun shop in Reedville of Butler County in 1861 due to both sons joining the Confederate Army, and more importantly, due to dangerous conditions for gunsmiths in Kentucky whose allegiances favored the Southern Cause while many neighbors favored the Union.

I research and specialize in Kentucky firearms and would like to better understand this rifle, so would it be possible to provide better "standard" photos of the rifle, perhaps taken on a lighter, more neutral solid color background [concrete driveways works OK if in the shade] accurate barrel length and bore size? If so, I'd appreciate seeing the following:

1. standard half-shot of front side, showing complete butt out to about 8" past lock plate,
2. standard half-shot of back side, showing complete butt out to about 8" past where lock plate sits on opposite side,
3. standard full-length shot of front side of gun... helpful to put small object under rifle about at lock area to tip gun forward slightly when photographing full length, so you can stand away slightly but still get an almost straight-on view.
4. photo of barrel stamp
5. photo of tang

Thank you for any additional photos on this rifle you may be able to provide.  Shelby Gallien

cobramech

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 09:30:33 PM »
Thank you all so much for the explanations and help.

Mr. Gallien - I will be sure to take those pictures and measurements to send to you. Seems like a pretty comprehensive story, but if there's anything more you can teach me about the rifle or maker, based on your research, I'm eager to learn.

A follow-up question related to all of this - there are two major issues (that I can see) with the rifle, primarily that the brass trigger guard has a clean break in it and the muzzle cap (correct term?) for the stock is gone. Is there a reputable gunsmith for this era of firearm that would be able to repair the trigger guard and replace the muzzle cap? I'm very familiar with the "less is more" philosophy for antiques but these seem like worthwhile fixes. As always, thanks in advance.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 12:30:56 AM »
There are a good number of restorers who could replace the nose cap with a proper style, and silver solder the guard break with a bronze color solder that would look just like the original brass. You need to tell us what part of the country you live in, and perhaps we can find one within easy driving distance.
Shelby Gallien

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 02:27:36 PM »
Hi,
It strikes me that the lock was originally designed for a barrel breeched with a large percussion "snail" surrounding the nipple and was modified to work with a simple drum.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

cobramech

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 02:41:06 PM »
There are a good number of restorers who could replace the nose cap with a proper style, and silver solder the guard break with a bronze color solder that would look just like the original brass. You need to tell us what part of the country you live in, and perhaps we can find one within easy driving distance.
Shelby Gallien

I'm located in Virginia, about an hour west of Washington DC.

Hi,
It strikes me that the lock was originally designed for a barrel breeched with a large percussion "snail" surrounding the nipple and was modified to work with a simple drum.

dave

It looks like there is something that has been modified. The lockplate looks like it was originally shaped to accomodate something larger than the current drum that's on the rifle. The barrel also has an indentation in the top where the drum is attached - I had figured that was part of the remnants of a flintlock mechanism until I started getting clarification from folks on this forum. I'll try to post more pictures tonight/tomorrow.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 11:14:04 PM »
The larger, shallower cutout in the lock plate has original border engraving running around it. I think the lock was made/sold like that in the hardware store, with the shallow cutout already in place, so it was faster/easier to make the final cut-out for the percussion side lug.  Shelby Gallien