Author Topic: Would this make sense???  (Read 3402 times)

leadslinger62

Would this make sense???
« on: September 23, 2009, 04:54:15 AM »
  Instead of junking an almost worn out , not sure if it will Spark Flint, would it make sense to save them and just use them for practice?? In other words, would this help with in developing a good hold. Save the new Flints for Hunting or Shooting matches. Just an idle thought....

Offline steg49

Re: Would this make sense???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 05:04:48 AM »
Since most of my flints sould like your old ones and they are not consistant on igniting the pan, I have discovered I have a very nice flinch that I need to control. So in my "I hate flintlocks" opinion I'd say try it and you'll find how good a follow through you have after you touch the trigger.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 06:01:16 AM »
Yeah, it makes sense to me for a couple of reasons.   Flints aren't that cheap these days so getting as many shots as possible  out of one seems like good economy.   And,  during a match or out hunting a slow fire or misfire translates into lost points or lost (or just wounded) game.    Rather than fiddle with a balky flint during a match relay, better to have a ready spare to swap out if a quick knapping doesn't get it sparking good again.  Shooting good scores is challenging enough without the disruption of your loading routine trying to troubleshoot a dumb piece of rock, or the mental distraction of wondering if it's going to go bang. Once back home, the partially worn flint can be rejuvenated by knapping, building its length back with JB Weld, trying bevel up vs. bevel down, grinding, whatever, and then used for practice where a slowfire could even be considered a good training exercise.

SCL

Offline steg49

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 08:12:06 AM »
Using JB weld to build up old flints, what a great idea, thanks.  I'll be in my shooting box tomorrow finding the bits and pieces and making new (used) flint. thanks for the idea!

leadslinger62

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 12:55:39 PM »
     Great idea!!!!  The last Flints I bought, from Track of the North, was $1.75. So, I have to try this! This should work to build up the humpy Flints too.

roundball

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 03:33:01 PM »
I clean and save mine in a jar, then every now and then if I'm rained in or something, I pull out the best ones, sit down for a minute or so each with a diamond grinding wheel in my Dremel tool and reshape a fresh tapered slope to a thin sharp edge...get another couple dozen shots or so out of them

Leatherbelly

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 03:46:27 PM »
  Never could figure out why they make them humpy flints. ???  Flat tops have always worked better.

Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
I certainly hope it makes sense, 'cuz that's exactly what I've been doin' for years.

With the supository guns we used to practice by having a buddy load the gun for you.  Then he would occasionally slip and empty shell in the breach and hand it to you.  Then you would find out if you had a flinch.

Those misfires at the practice range do the same thing. 

Oh, and there's one other time when you'll wanna haul out the brand new flints.  When there's center-fire shooters at the next bench.  If yer makin' an impression you best make it a good one.