Author Topic: Hoppes #9 BP plus ?  (Read 4693 times)

clambdin

Hoppes #9 BP plus ?
« on: September 09, 2009, 02:10:44 AM »
Where can I buy this online ?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Hoppes #9 BP plus ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 02:41:40 AM »
I just ordered a gallon from a place called "Wideners Reloading and Shooting Supply".  Can't find it locally and their price is reasonable.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 04:59:19 AM »
I ordered 4 -1 quart bottles directly from Hoppes over the internet. I'm set for a year or two.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 05:07:40 PM »
I am starting to think that ordering from the mfgr. might be the answer for Hoppe's 9 Plus.  Wholesale Sports in Alberta has some, but I think only in the little tall thin 6 or 8oz. bottles.  With LHV gone by the board, Hoppe's Plus becomes the best cold weather lube for our winter trail walks - my .58 musketoon loves it and will handle it with light, 70gr. 2F charges for 1,300fps.  The .40, on the other hand demands 10 to 15gr. more powder than with spit or water based lubes like WWasher fluid/soap when using Hoppe's or LHV.

If switching to a slippery prep like LHV or Hoppe's, make certain you check the accuracy. Some rifles demand new loads and/or re-sighting as well.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:18:09 PM by Daryl »

roundball

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 06:32:37 PM »
3-4 years ago I ran across a small private garage business having a going out of business sale...bought several quart bottles and a case of the small bottles at a steal...should last me for a range trip or two

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »
A gallon should last a while.  It came in a very heavy gauge gallon "drum" that looks a little like a miniature beer keg.  So far the only problem is that I am unable to get it open!  I think it was sealed as a time capsule.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Dancy

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 09:27:52 PM »
You could shoot it open!  ;D

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »
Former sportswriter where I shoot cautioned me about this black powder Hoppe's, said "it has water in it"  I ignored him, much like I do anyone with advice.

Funny thing, barrels cleaned with this stuff and not oiled show a reddish brown color on a patch after a few days.

For patch lube I am inclined to one or the other presumably organic grease, or (again, those giving me advice) some like olive oil, canola oil.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 12:32:33 AM »
Taylor left a charge in a sealed barrel for 5 days, then pulled the load, Hoppe's 9 Plus lubed patched ball and powder.  The bore was bright and shiny, one end to the other and the Hoppe's didn't foul the powder, either.  I can't seem to find any Hoppe's now, aside from ordering it from Alberta, so I'll use Track's mink oil for hunting, for now.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 02:46:57 AM »
I got my last from Dixie Gun Works.
I have noticed that the older it gets the thicker it gets, which is good if you use it for a patch lube.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 05:56:19 AM »
Former sportswriter where I shoot cautioned me about this black powder Hoppe's, said "it has water in it"  I ignored him, much like I do anyone with advice.

Funny thing, barrels cleaned with this stuff and not oiled show a reddish brown color on a patch after a few days.

For patch lube I am inclined to one or the other presumably organic grease, or (again, those giving me advice) some like olive oil, canola oil.

Hoppes #9 BP solvent is 70-80% water by the MSDS IIRC. Even the regular Hoppes has some.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine