Author Topic: Storing black powder question ?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Storing black powder question ?
« on: October 26, 2021, 03:20:13 AM »
So how do you folks store your stash of black powder ….i assume in a safe…but do you put it in another container in the safe ? If so …what kind of container ? And thanks

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Storing black powder question ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 03:45:25 AM »
Here’s how I do it. Lots of folks do it differently. Keep in mind, BP won’t ‘explode’ unless it’s constrained in a container that will allow pressure to build to a dangerous level before it gives. Ie, a safe, or a pressure cooker.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 06:29:00 AM »
Would those plastic storage bins work ? With a smaller plastic bin inside the larger bin ? And Thanks !

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 01:57:48 PM »
Sure. The wood is superior because of the insulation value. Wood will give you a lot more time to get everyone out of the house in the case of a fire.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 02:48:16 PM »
I have been told that some city codes have a 6 pound limit on the storage of black powder on your property.  In case of fire/explosion, if your homeowners Ins company discovers you had more than 6 pounds of black powder it would kill your Ins coverag.

I live in the county and intend to find out if there is such a code in my county.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 03:44:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies !!

Offline DanL

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 04:11:40 PM »
Store in a wooden box under the outhouse. Not many folks will look for it there.  In the event of ignition, fowling is soft and easy to clean with soap and water. 
From God's Farm in Alabama; God bless America & "Alba gu Brath !!"

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 04:51:42 PM »
Putting a can in a gallon ZipLock freezer bag will help prevent moisture fluctuations if the cap isn't perfectly sealed. 

I talked at length with the rep from Swiss at a show.  He allowed that moisture variations are worse than temperature variations in long term storage of BP.   Overall, he said it is pretty stable though.  He said he'd run into some old BP that was quite damp.  Once laid out to dry, it worked just as it should. 

On temp, he said avoid super deep freeze and super heat (like 120+ degrees).

Don't store it in something that cannot release pressure.  Those Cabela's or Walmart plastic imitations of Army ammo cans seem like a nice choice.  Holds out moisture variations, but would give way easily under pressure. 

I hope this helps.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline 45-110

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 11:33:17 PM »
Well I know my powder stash of Goex and Swiss have seen temps from -40f to +116 while stored in my barn. That is just a regular yearly Montana temperature range, it all shoots fine though. The Swiss still performs nicely even at the 1200 yd targets.
kw

Online StevenV

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 01:13:45 AM »
store in old refrigerator or freezer of course not running. with stands fire and stays at a pretty constant atmosphere          Steve

Offline Not English

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 05:36:30 AM »
I'm in Wi. , we definitely have an abundance of all four seasons here. It looks like I store my powder differently from most other methods mentioned. I only have a cardboard box on a shelf in the shed in the back yard. The shed is dry and sits on a slab. I have never had a problem with damp powder.

Way back in the green horn days, there was some different thinking involved on my part. I used to keep a pound and a horn in the house under the water bed. My thinking was that in case of fire, the water bed had more than enough water to get the powder pretty soggy to avoid setting it off. You can guess my wife's reaction when she found out! Needless to say it got a new storage place, right quick. I'm willing to acknowledge the  faulty thinking on my part , so take it easy on the smart a** comments please. I provide this story for your amusement.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 02:17:38 PM »
The last few 25 pound lots of black powder I ordered were shipped and delivered in cardboard boxes. I store it like they sent it, stacked in the same cardboard boxes.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 03:04:16 PM »
My BP stash is 12 lbs and it's in the shop,not the house and in the cans it came in.One can is from Wes Kindig in 1956 and it is in good shape and the powder pours easily.The last shots I  fired with BP was in 2008 in a 58 caliber flintlock rifle that I rescued from someone's cobbled up attempt.I wish I had kept it but sold it in a lot sale of rifles to finance our daughter in law and our then baby granddaughter's trip to America from The Phillipines.It helped pay for our son's trip over to get them and bring them back to a much better way of life.
Bob Roller

Offline AZshot

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 05:27:04 PM »
I've kept 5-6 cans for years out in a shed in Arizona for 20 years.  It may be up to 105 deg or so in there, but I kept it there instead of the house.  For a while, I kept 3-4 cans in the laundry room IN the house.  Then thought better of it, and moved it back outside.  I now keep it in a metal (wood lined) ammo box on wheels.  I keep the lid just loose, as a blowout feature. 

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 12:00:26 AM »
I store all of the cans not currently being used in a sealed plastic ammo can in a 1 inch thick wooden box with a flip up lid. When I get new powder to top of my supply I vacuum seal each can in a bag and write purchase date on it. I use Swiss the least and only in one rifle that I rarely shoot and only open about 1 fresh can of it a year. Might be overdoing it but with humid Indiana summers I don't worry about my powder.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2021, 12:22:15 AM »
    IF/WHEN the Fireman show up,  LET THEM KNOW WHERE YOUR STASH IS, as a fireman of 25 years it is some nice to know information.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2021, 02:25:14 AM »
While we’re telling each other stuff, also tell the firemen about your extra propane tanks for your grill and if you keep gasoline in the garage. Nasty surprises there too. I have a 200lb propane tank right up against the house used only for the stove. That’s a huckleberry right there someone who chose to go into my house while aflame would like to know. Of course firefolk in my area just watch em burn, so they’ll likely just get a mild startle in any case…
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 02:32:29 AM by Bob McBride »

Ric Carter

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2021, 11:07:58 PM »
I store mine in an old apartment size refrigerator in my shop. NO NOT have a latch on a powder magazine. BATF frowns on that.
I have my shop posted "Danger- Explosives". I don't want the fire department to run into a surprise in event of a fire.

Offline One Shot

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 05:02:54 AM »
I store all my BP and Nit. powder in the barn now I weld etc in the shop and got tired of wheeling the powders out each time. There are temp variations of 110 deg down to 5 deg. Powder has always been good. I bring what I need into the house 2-3 days before I need it so it can warm up or cool down to working temp. Less issues with moisture i find.