Author Topic: Rob Robbins Lock  (Read 4469 times)

Offline frogwalking

Rob Robbins Lock
« on: September 26, 2009, 04:43:54 AM »
I have a rifle I made when I got home from Vietnam.  It has a Rob Robbins lock and Douglas Barrel.  Everyone knows the barrel, but has anyone heard of the lock?  It is percussion and arrived, in the mail fully polished and has an adjustable sear engagement.
I don't remember where I bought it.  I have not seen any of this type since I started fooling with black power again.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

California Kid

Re: Rob Robbins Lock
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 06:33:29 AM »
Robbins made some real good percussion locks in the 60's and 70's. Could it be Harold Robbins I'm thinking of? Its been so long I can't remember.
You should look up Jim Hash If you live in Appomattox, also Capt Jas of this forum lives there as well. Both good friends of mine.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 06:53:01 AM »
I remember Robbins locks, but can't recall his first name.  Harold Robbins might sound familiar because Harold Robbins was a famous 20th century author.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

California Kid

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 07:07:33 AM »
Randy I've seen his locks, used to advertise in MB. You're probably right about the first name. I hate this not being able to remember stuff. I keep seeing the ad in MB in my head and it still comes up Harold. Maybe somebody that has a memory will chime in! HA HA !

California Kid

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 07:25:52 AM »
Just did a google search for Harold Robbins maker of locks and triggers for MZ guns. I'm not nuts afterall. I feel much better. If I could only remember where I put my favorite file..........

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 06:54:09 PM »
Yep, it was Harold Robbins. He made locks that were even better than anything I have seen from Chambers, right out of the box. I have a Germanic flint lock dated 1977 that is the best lock I have had the pleasure to own.

I'm not knocking Chambers quality, only commenting on the difference between a machined custom lock and a high quality production lock.

IMHO, a new lock like those, if made today, would cost at least $200 and probably more.

God bless

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 09:47:18 PM »
Thanks guys.  If it was a rock lock, I would put a cheaper lock on the old gun and build a new one for this lock.  Alas, if wishes were horses, the beggars could ride.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 02:28:45 AM »
FWIW, I have a Harold Robbins caplock on a SC .32 poorboy from the late 60s.  It really is an outstanding lock in smoothness and utterly dependable. Lon

Levy

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 06:07:50 PM »
I didn't know he made any flintlocks at all.  I don't remember ever seeing them advertised.  I did use some of his percussion locks cut for a drum and later bought one with a larger plate that was uncut and presumably for a Hawken type gun.  The quality was excellent.  The first ones that I bought from DGW were $45 and the last I saw were $95.

James Levy