Author Topic: rust blue-first application  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Dennis Daigger

rust blue-first application
« on: December 21, 2021, 09:13:42 PM »
We are having a cold winter and our humidity is low. This is the first application applied yesterday afternoon and left over night in open air.

After initial steam conversion and and after initial carding.

Dennis
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 03:28:22 AM by Dennis Daigger »

Offline Daryl

Re: rust blue-first application
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 10:25:07 PM »
Looks good to me. Should even out with more applications. I don't think it's any different than what I've experienced, Dennnis.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline john bohan

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 01:56:23 AM »
You may need more humidity, I put mine in a cooler ,or 2 coolers for a long barrel with a pan of hot water in the coolers covered with a towel or whatever.

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 02:26:19 AM »
Hang it in the bathroom when you take a hot shower.  Beware not to let condensation form drops on the metal. Get the barrel warm, don't bring it up from a cold basement or garage and hang it.

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 03:25:54 AM »
Looks good to me. Should even out with more applications. I don't think it's any different than what I've experienced, Dennnis.
Daryl,
The streaking usually disappears after the third solution application and I've found that the slow process in open air has given me the best results, just slower.
Dennis

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 04:38:47 AM »
Daryl,
The streaking usually disappears after the third solution application and I've found that the slow process in open air has given me the best results, just slower.
Dennis

The first 2 times I looked at this thread, there was no post/steaming pictures. This time they came up- weird. To me, it looks amazing for one application.  Things rust more
slowly, here.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clint

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 05:39:12 AM »
I live about 1000 yards from Fishers Island sound and humidity runs 75% or higher all year. If you live in a dry place, make a box for your barrels and lead the out put hose from your clothes drier into it. Very warm very damp air!

Online alacran

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 03:23:33 PM »
When rust bluing, patience is a virtue. The slower it is accumulated, the better.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass