Author Topic: Looking for better tools  (Read 2079 times)

Cracker Lee

Looking for better tools
« on: December 21, 2021, 11:51:45 AM »

After the first of the year I plan on ordering a Kibler SMR kit. I would like to build the kit with tools of better quality than those sold at my local big box store. Does anyone have an idea of where to look for better tools?
  Thanks,
   Lee

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Looking for better tools
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 01:26:00 PM »
Below are two places online. Take a look at the Pfiel chisels, pricey but worth the money in my opinion.
There is a site in Canada that used to have good prices on Pfiel chisels but I can not rsmember the name right.now. Maybe some one will post that website.
https://www.woodcraft.com
http://Https://trackofthewolf.com

Dennis
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 01:36:57 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 03:36:26 PM »
While I'm all in favor of having good tools (especialy single purpose tools) I think you should look closely at what tools are not required to assemble one of the Kibler kits.
I've helped assemble over two dozen Kiblers and would recommend watching Jim's videos before buying alot.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 04:55:38 PM »
Most all of mine come from farm auctions
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline heinz

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 05:25:57 PM »
Lee Valley has several quality tool lines

Patrick Leach has a monthly mailing list you can sign up for http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Do watch the videos as suggested.  Buy only what you need, it is much cheaper that way

Farm auctions are source of antique tool but you need to know what you are doing. Farmers frequently had to buy the cheapest tools they could get.  The welled tools are the ones that worked.  The ones that look new except for some surface rust, probably did not get used for a reason.
kind regards, heinz

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 05:47:57 PM »
I second Dennis's suggestion on Woodcraft but be warned that tools can become an addiction. I used to spend lots of time in antique stores looking at tools and bought quite a few; saws, planes, chisels, gouges, etc. I even got pretty good at restoring them too and read a good many books on wooden planes. I mainly built furniture as a hobby then. I haven't built a Kibler rifle but I think Kevin is right about watching those video's he takes you though all the steps of building the rifles he sells as kits. What I found is of the tools I have to choose from I usually have one or two chisels I always use building a rifle.
Rob

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 05:57:57 PM »
You really don’t need a lot of tools to build any Kibler kit. Some proper screwdrivers, a small chisel, and a couple files is all you really need to assemble one.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »
My local Woodcraft store has some nice tools.  They are worth a look.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 06:51:19 PM »
The basic tools needed to assemble one of Jim's kits are a couple of good sharp single bevel chisels, a good set of screw drivers, and a good set of files. The wood surface is so close to finished dimensions that there is no need for rasps. The surface is ready for sanding or scraping whichever you prefer. Now that is what is required to assemble, if you are going to carve and add inlays or wire then the tool list gets bigger.

As suggested watch Jim's video's and that will explain a lot.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 06:52:16 PM »
A quality screwdriver set. I prefer the magna-tip bit sets.

https://www.brownells.com/

Similarly, the 4 in 1 screwdrivers you can find for a couple bucks at any hardware store in America are uncanny at perfectly fitting just about any screw I've ever come across.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 07:22:08 PM »
So that is how you get your aged finish on your rifles.  Glad you shared that secret with us. ;D
David

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 08:15:47 PM »
Here is a list of makers of older good quality steel chisels that I found a long time ago from a far-off land ---:
Old Chisel Makers of Good Quality
E.A Berg. Eskil Tuna. Even though they have a plastic handle. - Sweden
Herring Bro's - England
Moulson Bro's - England
Ward - Scotland
Titan - Australia
Pexto - USA
Mathieson - Scotland
C.E Jennings -USA
Tuck - USA
Crown - England
Any old bi metal Japanese Nomi chisels are top of the heap.
These chisels are mostly all old, over 50 & in some cases like the Wards & Mathiesons, over 150 years.
I hope this will guide you on the old chisels otherwise go buy the high-quality new stuff.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 08:20:04 PM »
The Pfiel tools at woodcraft are very nice. Just make sure they are in stock. I've had some on backorder since July.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 08:26:55 PM »
So that is how you get your aged finish on your rifles.  Glad you shared that secret with us. ;D
David

I'll say - NIFTY!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Spalding

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 09:17:21 PM »
Nothing wrong with acquiring nice tools, but I seriously could of built my Kibler SMR with a couple screwdrivers, a flat file or two, a small hammer and punch, a few grades of sandpaper, and an X-acto knife with pointed and chisel blades.
( some nice chisels and a fine rasp did come in handy though) ;)

Bob

Cracker Lee

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2021, 10:58:07 PM »

Thanks all, I'll try Woodcraft. All I really need is a couple of chisels at this point. I've been watching Kibler's videos but I'm sure before the kit gets here I'll watch them through a few more times. Jim has come a long way with his CNC machines since the early days of stock duplicators.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2021, 03:53:57 AM »
Below are two places online. Take a look at the Pfiel chisels, pricey but worth the money in my opinion.
There is a site in Canada that used to have good prices on Pfiel chisels but I can not rsmember the name right.now. Maybe some one will post that website.

The Canadian company is Chipping Away.  Great people to deal with, shipping is reasonable and quick.  Prices for Pfiel tools are roughly $10 below what woodcraft sells them for.  Link is below.

https://www.chippingaway.com/

Cracker Lee

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2021, 04:30:15 AM »

I looked at Woodcraft and Chipaway and there's only a $2 difference between the tools I'm looking for. The one difference is that Woodcraft is from my home state of WV. That might seem silly to some people but we Mountaineers tend to stick together.
   Thanks everyone.

Offline jm190

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2021, 06:50:57 PM »
I bought my first quality chisels from  https://www.lie-nielsen.com/

The price made me wince but the quality is there. They have tool use instructional videos as well.

John

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2021, 08:52:46 PM »
I looked at Woodcraft and Chipaway and there's only a $2 difference between the tools I'm looking for

Are you sure you are looking at the US dollar price?  They list their prices in Canadian and convert at checkout. 

A Pfiel 16-1 V tool- Woodcraft-$52, Chipping away -$38
Pfiel fishtail gouge - 7x6 - Woodcraft - $47, Chipping away - $34