Author Topic: Half-stocked Rifle  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Bombardier

• Starting Member
Half-stocked Rifle
« on: July 04, 2023, 09:44:54 PM »
I am hoping that you good folks will be able to help me identify this half-stock rifle I just "won" at auction.   32" barrel 45 caliber.   Any information appreciated.   Thanks

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Half-stocked Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 10:35:54 PM »
 With a tuned muzzle for a plunger type bullet starter, and bench style triggers, I would guess it’s a bench rest target rifle, designed to shoot bullets instead of balls.

Hungry Horse

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 10:46:08 PM »
More info such as Names, dates or stampings on barrel top or bottom or lock plate inside or out might be helpful.

Offline Bombardier

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 09:30:29 AM »
It is in the mail I will update when it arrives.   Thanks

Offline 5judge

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 02:17:44 PM »
Suspect a duel purpose rifle. Rear sight isn't the sort one would expect to find on a dedicated target-only rifle, but is the sort, if memory serves, shooting pointed, patched bullets, Ned Roberts (1866 -1948, "The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle") grew up shooting targets and big game with in the North East in the late 19th Century.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 06:13:18 PM »
Maybe a SHORT Pickett bullet or one like a percussion revolver but NOT an 500 grainer with 90 grains of 3fg.The drum and nipple would probably blow and the man shooting beside it would be hurt or killed.Approach these golden oldies with caution and ifyou want to reactivate it then have it thoroughly checked by someone who knows what they are and may be able to test it.This is a nice rifle even with a big part of the lock mortise missing.These Eastern half stock guns are my favorites as sometimes evidenced by my references to the General Grant Rifle by N.G.Whitmore.Major Roberts book was my favorite and still is from the old timers that had only the original guns to shoot with the sights then in common use.Walter Cline's book was also a fine one and E.M.Farris gave me his and it is now in the permanent library of the Huntington WVa Museum of Art a a donation from me and cannot be checked out and conveniently "lost".
Going again to short bullets in MODERN round ball guns there are a number of them that can be used but I have no idea what they are and my personal prefernce also is a BOLSTER breech and NO drums and nipples with semi skilled installation.
Bob Roller

Offline dadybear1

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 06:11:19 PM »
NICE LOOKING RIFLE--- HOPE YOU DID GOOD ON THE PRICE---

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 07:55:47 PM »
The use of brass screws and domed head tacks to attach the patchbox, along with simplicity of the box without engraving, suggests a rather late rifle, perhaps 1860s. The long cheekpiece and slightly different guard shape appear frequently on New York rifles, but it's hard to identify these somewhat later rifles that have abandoned many of their earlier, more distinctive details. The current adjustable ramp sight is probably a later addition installed in the gun's original rear sight dovetail. Hopefully there will be a name on the barrel that can provide better information on the rifle.

Shelby Gallien