Author Topic: Spanish Folwer  (Read 1939 times)

Offline deepcreekdale

Spanish Folwer
« on: December 31, 2021, 02:33:16 AM »
I just completed this for a customer and wanted to share it. It is a Spanish Fowler, stocked in Cherry, barrel is a Rice Type G, cut back to 32 inches. Lock is from Rifle Shoppe as is the trigger guard casting. Everything else is scratch made. It weighs 5.6 lbs, is incredibly light and easy to handle, I have a feeling the original design was designed for horseback use. This style of gun would be more likely to be found in Mexico and the Southwest than in my home turf of Florida.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 05:32:08 AM by deepcreekdale »
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Spanish Folwer
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 02:34:33 AM »
That’s one fine escopeta! Love the buttstock architecture.
Andover, Vermont

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 02:41:04 AM »
This is a close up of the lock. It is a later Spanish lock, with some probable French influence  but retains the far superior exterior mainspring and horizontal sear arrangement. The mainspring on this is VERY strong as the spring itself is larger than the puny springs that go on the inside of the llock plate. Trigger pull is light with no take up at all. One recent poster asked about TRS castings in my opinion they are excellent and they sure make interesting stuff. They are not for beginners however, I would suggest access to a lathe, an acetylene torch and a heat treating oven. Most of the engraving here is cast in, generally very clean but benefits from some light touch up with a graver.

”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 02:44:46 AM »
That's pretty cool! Thanks Rich - I was ready to grab my books as I couldn't remember what the Mexican muskets were called.
It certainly is lighter in weight, compared to it's appearance suggests.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 02:48:02 AM »
Dale, both the lock and those brass barrel bands are interesting.  Would you have a close-up of the bands?  Great job on the rifle, good comment about TRS.

And your little telescope rear sight!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 02:50:07 AM »
Here is the lock plate side. Fun with silver wire! I wanted to do something different, the Spanish loved their silver and I love doing silver wire inlay so everybody is happy. This also gives a good look at the rear sight. The customer wanted a rear sight to help when hunting but I didn't like the idea of a plain rear sight. A little research showed numerous examples of sights like this on Spanish arms. Turned it on my lathe, the aperature is fairly large, probably about 7/32. It works great. Quickly picks up the front sight, even in low light and your eye automatically centers it. As is typical with many Spanish features, far superior to other sighting systems IMHO. I made it to be removable so if desired can be replaced with a plain sight but after the customer tried it, he said don't bother.

Here is the tang area. Again, fun with silver. The customers family is from Aviles Spain which is in the region of Asturias. This is the Cross of Asturias which evidently is a famous icon in the region as well as being on the regional flag.

dupage pads

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 02:55:30 AM »
VERY nice!  Thanks.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 02:57:53 AM »
Here is the buttplate. Nothing more than a flat sheet of brass (.090 thickness). Top part is .062 thick bent to fit. Like so many Spanish methods, incredibly easy and practical to make. It comes up quickly and is very comfortable to hold. Also, a great palette for my mediocre engraving skills. (Darn arthritis!)

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 03:00:42 AM »
Beautiful gun, love the silver work and engraving. What is the pin along the top edge of the sideplate for? Mystery to me. Great job!

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 03:10:44 AM »
Thanks for the comments. Craig, I didn't take any closeups of the bands before the gun was delivered but if it helps I can give you a quick rundown on how I make them. I use .050 brass that came from some old door kick plates that provides me and my heirs lifetime supplies of brass! What I do after getting the barrel inletted is make a cardboard pattern for rough dimensions. These ones are 1 inch wide around the wood and I believe 3/4 inch around the barrel. I cut out the exterior shape using my cardboard pattern, then cut out the slots on the sides and top using drills and a jewelers saw. Everything should be nice and even at this point with the brass still flat. Then, anneal your brass thoroughly. Center the top slots on the barrel and using nothing more than your fingers, bend to fit around the stock. It bends almost as easy as the cardboard, I have a feeling, that was the real reason for those slots. You might need to lightly tap with a soft mallet to get everything to lie against all the contours, especially around the barrel. Then, carefully measure where you need a joint along the bottom and scribe. I usually make a small dovetail just to give more surface for the solder. Make this joint a close as you can. Then, I use Silvaloy silver solder from Brownells which has a yellow tint to close the joint. Once finished and polished, the joint is invisible or almost so. It is amazing how strong that band becomes once joined. i have several of these on different guns, personally, I find it easier and quicker than making and installing lugs, drilling pin holes etc.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 03:15:34 AM »
Ed, that pin on top of the side plate is the trigger pivot pin, The trigger is vertical, and runs from just beneath the barrel tang down to the shoe. The sear is pulled to the rear instead of raising up like on French/German/English locks. makes the trigger pull nice and light even with those strong lock springs.  Here is a picture from another lock I made recently that might explain how these locks and triggers work.

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 03:22:05 AM »
In my mind I have a picture, but not a clear one. Can you point me to some reference on this, it is really interesting. Thanks

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 04:33:46 AM »
POW! You knocked it out of the park on this one.
Andover, Vermont

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 05:42:23 AM »
Ed, the best reference I know of especially on locks is Lavins book on Spanish Firearms. It is readily available on Ebay or Amazon and I highly recommend it. It has lots of detailed drawings of various Spanish locks including exploded drawings which make their function very clear. Wish I had it when I started building them. Oddly enough, in Florida, old Spanish guns with these locks turn up in pawn shops now and again. Most people, including the dealers have no idea what they are. The first one I ever worked on years ago was a percussion pistol which the customer got for $50.00. In great shape, just needed a front barrel band fabricated.
Rich, thanks for the compliment. I love to make stuff a little out of the ordinary. Takes a lot more research, but I find it rewarding. My next project is a Scottish smoothbore musket with a snaphaunce lock and a 10 gauge 54-inch barrel. Not many pictures of those laying around. My customer got a museum in Scotland to take some pictures of the ones they had. About all I have to go on.

Offline ed lundquist

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 06:07:21 AM »
Thank you.

Offline alacran

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 03:06:35 PM »
Very Nice Dale. Inspires me to get back to my Escopeta project. As you know I have the lock made the cherry stock is cut out, just have to finish a couple of projects before I get to it.
I really like the rear sight. The size of the aperture is like a battle sight, easy to acquire a target.
You did a great job on the Madrid style stock. The Silver puts icing on the cake. Love the finish on this gun.
You didn't make any mention of the nose cap. Is it ebony?
Thanks for sharing.
Happy New Year
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2021, 03:33:17 PM »
Hi Dale,
Very nice gun and Madrid stock!  Our friend, Rich Pierce gifted me this Spanish barrel, which I cleaned up.  It is by Nicholas Bis and has his mark as well as the mark for Madrid. Based on his history, the barrel likely was made before he accepted Royal service so it could date as early as 1700 or so.  The bore is excellent given its age and obvious use.  The chiseled band at the transition is beautiful.

I filled in the dove tailed slot for the barrel lug and peened over the insert so it is virtually invisible.  I removed the breech plug, which was in very good shape and it has the requisite 7 threads plus it was notched for the vent hole.  I will test the barrel with a moderate load and then mount it on some sort of Spanish gun the style of which to be decided. I lightly gilded the barrel marks and coated them with lacquer to prevent any further corrosion of the marks so when I permanently gild them, the marks should be clear.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2021, 04:06:32 PM »
I haven’t seen a gun like that one before and it’s very interesting and beautiful! The lock looks like a Miliquet (?) lock. I can imagine it’s a powerhouse with those external main springs.
It’s always so fascinating to see the many different styles of historical firearms that modern builders are recreating. It’s such a wonderful thing to see history being preserved, revisited and celebrated.
Hope the owner will post even more photos and maybe even a video of this fabulous gun at work! Awesome work, I am amazed!!!

Offline Bill Madden

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2021, 04:48:56 PM »
Very nice work, Dale. Per your PM a few months ago, I have purchased Lavin's book and found it quite helpful. I am trying to decide whether to build a Fowler like yours, or a pistol. The fluted buttstock worried me as being too heavy, but, apparently, it is not. I have downloaded your pictures for future reference. Thanks for posting.
Bill

Offline Levy

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2021, 06:28:05 PM »
Great job on the escopeta Dale.  Some folks may be wondering why both you and alacran chose cherry wood for your stocks.  The Spanish used cherry quite a bit along with walnut and in the 1800's some oak too.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2021, 06:42:12 PM »
Great job on the escopeta Dale.  Some folks may be wondering why both you and alacran chose cherry wood for your stocks.  The Spanish used cherry quite a bit along with walnut and in the 1800's some oak too.  James Levy

Thanks for the complement Jim. Yes, Cherry was commonly used like you said. I did get a gorgeous piece of VERY curly red oak from Wayne Dunlap at the CLA show this year. That will add some weight I bet. Wayne said he has only sold about 10 oak stocks in his whole career, will be interesting to see how it works.

Dale

Offline alacran

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2021, 06:54:27 PM »
Looked at the photos again. I see there is no nosecap. It was the barrel itself I was looking at. Again great job.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2021, 07:20:20 PM »
Really neat and interesting!
Eat Beef

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2021, 08:59:52 PM »
It is so wonderful to see when early Spanish and French firearms get some attention. Dale, you did an excellent job with your interpretation.
Psalms 144