Author Topic: Penn. smooth rifle  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Tim Ault

Penn. smooth rifle
« on: January 30, 2022, 07:28:16 PM »

My co worker has this family owned smooth , barrel is Oct. to round 44 “ long , bore is .535 dia ,.715 outside at the muzzle ,.860 at transition and .910 at breach . Tang is spear shaped 2.625 long
 Has both front and rear sight front is dovetailed into the barrel .   The lock is original percussion with what appears to be factory engraving . I believe I can made out Pittsburgh stamped on it . All brass trim rod is 5/16 dia and appears original  . It’s missing a toe plate (3.5” long)
LOP is 13 3/8” butt plate is a dainty 4.125”x1.15” . 
Stock is a decent curl maple  with a nice slim wrist 1.45 tall 1.1” wide
   Appears to have some repairs done at some point  and there’s some slivers of wood missing from the fore stock along the barrel  . I’m no expert by any means but to my friend probably from the 1840-50’s
   Although it now resides in western Pa (Westmoreland Co ) I’m not sure it was built around here . Can anyone shed some light on its origins or a time frame
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 08:31:26 PM by Tim Ault »

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Penn. smooth rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 09:14:12 PM »
         I wouldn't rule out it being a Western PA gun.  The trigger guard and the entry pipe are right.  The general architecture seems right as well.  I once owned a very similar gun built by John Fleeger, I traded it away---I now own a nice Fleeger rifle :>)
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Tim Ault

Re: Penn. smooth rifle
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 11:15:08 PM »
Thank you I could find not marking or name on this gun , the only thing that caught my eye that seemed odd was a circular depression on the front finial of the TG  about 1/4” dia.