Author Topic: Help with carving element  (Read 946 times)

Online archer829

Help with carving element
« on: February 12, 2022, 07:33:34 AM »
My cheekpiece carving is almost done except for 2 little leaf-like elements, and I just can't seem to figure out how to do them.  I think they were done with a small gouge, making 2 chip-carving like cuts facing each other but offset.   But every time I do it in practice, they turn out very deep.  I'm determined not to let these two tiny things mess up the rest of my  project....

So, anybody have any advice for me about how to carve them?

Thanks!

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with carving element
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 04:14:04 PM »
I typically use a “V” gouge.  Go in one direction and slightly “tip” the gouge to the outside, then back up as you come out of the cut.  If you’re worried about depth, do the same thing coming back the other way.  Hope that makes sense.  Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 06:04:27 PM »
A  V gouge would work, but I think your idea of a small gouge to chip that design out is probably how the original was done. The original is probably pretty deep too, but is filled up with crud now.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 08:02:56 PM »
I wasn’t tracking what you guys were talking about relative to chip carving, but figured it out, and totally agree.  I’ve done them that way as well.  After stabbing in a “center line”, I usually use a small curved xacto blade, or small skew chisel to make the “chip” on both sides.   Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Online archer829

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 04:58:42 AM »
Thanks to both of you!  With your help, the little leaves turned out great, I think.  I've posted an updated picture on the JP Beck carving thread.  Jeff