Author Topic: Clay Smith American pistol kit (time period)?  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Hunterdude

Clay Smith American pistol kit (time period)?
« on: February 21, 2022, 05:27:00 AM »
I like it's slender architecture (grip area) but would like to know time period and regional area the style might have been built in? and how historical correct or lack there of? Thank you.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 05:51:05 AM by Hunterdude »

Online Frozen Run

Re: Clay Smith American pistol kit (time period)?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 07:36:15 AM »
He describes it as an 18th century American style pistol. With the small Siler lock and Bivens sideplate I would say a Lancaster or general PA region pistol from the 1700s with some creative leeway to assist with ergonomics. Clay Smith is a well known gun builder so I wouldn't worry about it being incorrect, and those parts are top notch. If it looks like something you'd be interested in then I would jump on buying one without hesitation.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 02:33:36 AM »
Seems like a pretty good deal for parts of that quality. And alot of work already completed.

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 08:24:50 AM »
That is such a nice looking pistol I called him today and ordered one. 54 cal. with a maple stock.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 03:30:30 PM »
Hi,
I would say it is a good version of pistols made at the end of the 18th century post Rev War and early 19th within PA or northern VA.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 04:24:47 PM »
Did he have the 54 cal barrels on stock?  When I checked his web sight he only had 50's at that time.

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 09:13:46 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys!
  I have a curly maple .50 caliber (kit) coming in the mail tomorrow.
 I would have liked .54 but they are on order, .50 is not bad for me as I have another rifle that takes .50 cal.
   I was torn on wood choice....I really like that dark stained walnut pistol he built, but think I can get maple to go pretty dark with aqua fortis plus tannic acid.
    He was out of trigger guards when I ordered, but I wanted a project as my Kibler kit is delayed. Clay agreed to ship my pistol kit without the trigger guard so I can build it and ship the guard when it comes in.
   There was a slim chance he could round me up a different trigger guard so it will be a surprise when I open the box.
    I like the Ted Cash ram rod pipes and the low profile rear sight, over all a very nice looking kit. I may do a mini build log or at least show it on the forum when I get it built.
    Clay mentioned that barrels And castings are longer wait times since Covid supply chain issues.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:24:11 PM by Hunterdude »

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 11:03:39 PM »
I'm going to order me one in 54 Maple soon as I find some $$$.
I think that is a pretty nice pistol.  54 will match my go to rifle.

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 08:32:14 AM »
When I talked to him the other day he said he didn't have any 54 barrels. He told me he was going to give rice a call to see what the status was. I really don't care if it takes time to get one. I'm not in a hurry and I know he must be busy. So it will get here when it gets here.

Offline Hunterdude

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 01:51:38 AM »
My kit came in and looks good.
    I like the slender pistol grip, but at 6'5" tall and "full size" I have rather larger Wookie Paws and was a little concerned about grip fit.
   I am pleased to report the grip feels VERY nice in the hand, and I will not change a thing there. I will take some wood off the front and maybe let a little more of the ram rod show but not a great deal of wood to move. I have large fingers and the trigger bow is not Large so I may look at seeing if I can sneak the trigger back just a touch from the one in video. Planning stage right now...this will be fun!
    Will try to post a photo but my kit looks just like the one in the video.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 01:58:47 AM by Hunterdude »