Author Topic: Contemporary flint rifle by JK ID needed *with pictures*  (Read 8767 times)

Offline Frank Graves

Contemporary flint rifle by JK ID needed *with pictures*
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:10:38 PM »
Here are pictures of this finely made contemporary flintlock rifle marked only with JK inside of a silver inlaid cartouche on the side of the barrel opposite the lock.  It has the initials HH on a silver thumbpiece at the wrist.  I would really appreciate hearing some opinions of who the maker might be.  Thanks.

wbgv

Re: Contemporary flint rifle by JK ID needed *with pictures*
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »
workmanship and engraving looks like 'Jerry Kirklin[J.K.]..great looking gun!!..the HH stands for H & H barrel makers.......

Offline Frank Graves

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »
Does anyone know how I can contact Mr. Kirklin?  I would really like to know when he built this rifle, for who, etc.  Thanks again.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:36:18 PM »
workmanship and engraving looks like 'Jerry Kirklin[J.K.]..great looking gun!!..the HH stands for H & H barrel makers.......
The "HH" on the thumbpiece are more likely the first owner's initials, I would think.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 03:06:09 AM »
I also think it was made by Jerry.     I know he moved from Michigan but don't know where.   I also agree that the HH on
the thumbpiece is probably the owners initials, not the barrel maker...........Don

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 05:10:03 AM »
If you'll check over at the CLA website under 'Artisans', there's an address for Kirklin in Birmingham, MI.  And, a google search will turn up a few links to some of his works; there's one of his guns for sale on Dixie Gun Works site.

Offline Frank Graves

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 04:39:04 PM »
Thanks for all of the help.  The address that he had on Bates Street in Birmingham, Michigan is no longer valid.  I know he worked on these for quite some time according to what I see on the internet and must be in his mid sixties or older.  Maybe he retired and rode off into the sunset...  Would anyone know of anyone that Jerry worked with that might know where he is or would pass a message along to him? 

The half stock at Dixie had his signature fully on the barrel, where this one just has the initials.  Might this suggest earlier work, later work or did he sign in different ways?

Thanks again.

carper1

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
I was good friends with Jerry and he moved away from Michigan many years ago. I have not spoken to him since he moved. I do know he moved to Indiana to live with his sister. I have no contact info ... sorry.

P.S
         A good clear pic of the signature might help on ID.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »
There are only two Jerry Kirklin's listed in Indiana.  The first one lives in Greenfield but is only 45 years old.  The other lives in Muncie and is over 65.

Jerry A Kirklin
6809 E Fisher Ln
Muncie, IN 47303-4515
(765) 288-7709

Can't lose anything on a phone call. 

Don't you guys know how to look someone up on the internet?  It's a lot easier than finding someone in the phonebook.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Frank Graves

Re: Contemporary flint rifle by JK ID needed *"JK" pictured*
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 11:19:29 PM »
Here is a picture of the JK cartouche.

I will give the Jerry Kirkin in Indiana a call tonight.  I did try to look him up on Google, etc. but didn't have a state to go on.  Thanks for the lead.

Offline Telgan

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 12:01:52 AM »
Any possibility this could be James ( Jim ) Klein? His work is of similar quality. Tom

carper1

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 05:28:28 AM »
I could be wrong but I don't remember Jerry signing guns like that. I just recall J. Kirlin on top barrel flat.

P.S Let us know what you find out and if you get a hold of Jerry ... please tell him Dennis Wolfe said hi.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 04:12:29 PM »
Carper.....I had the same thought, I think Jerry always signed his name on the top of the barrel,  and can't ever recall
seeing just his initials in a cartouche like this.   It could very well be Jim Klein...........Don

Offline Frank Graves

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »
I spoke with Jerry Kirklin - really nice guy and very interesting.  He said that it might be his as he, once in a great while, used initials, but he wants to see photographs which I have mailed to him.  I have emailed Jim Klein to an address that I found on the internet, but have not heard back.  I will follow up after I talk to Jerry Sunday or Monday.  Thanks again for all of the help.

Offline Frank Graves

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 12:25:38 AM »
I spoke with Jerry Kirklin who confirmed that he was the maker, in about 1984 and that the HH initials were for the original owner, Hugh Hartz.  He said that he followed Allentown features for the most part from Rupp and added a few others that he found attractive.

I passed along the "howdy" from Carper and he returned that.

My thanks again to all who helped - I never would have figured this out without you guys.  It is a great rifle I and I am very pleased to know more about it.

Frank Graves
Walnut Grove, Texas