Author Topic: Contempoary build W. G. P **photos added**  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Contempoary build W. G. P **photos added**
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »
Anyone know of a builder with the initials W. G. P. ? A guy emailed me looking for info on a pistol with the lock marked W. G. P. and also on the bottom of the barrel it has *13 W. G. P. It is a .40 cal

I am not familiar with that lock, could it be hand made?

**edited to add photos** maybe this will help.
Dennis

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 02:14:05 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

YANKEEDROIE

Re: Contempoary build W. G. P **photos added**
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:01:24 AM »
Hi Dennis , its Joe the owner of this W.G.P.  pistol. I just joined your community web site and want folks to know who I am and I can be contacted with info. jhae@sbcglobal.net . until I get my legs here and learn to navigate the site.
Thanks for all your help

keithvance62

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 02:01:13 PM »
Dennis,I think your lock is an early Dixie Gunworks. I have a rifle by Bill Peiratt of Meniffee Co Ky dated 1961 that has an identical lock. Ill post some pics later. Ive always been told he would use these if he wasent able to find a good original.Keith Vance.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »
Looks like a hand made lock. Quality of that lock is about the same as a Chamber's isn't it?
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 03:43:39 PM »
Hi Dennis , its Joe the owner of this W.G.P.  pistol. I just joined your community web site and want folks to know who I am and I can be contacted with info. jhae@sbcglobal.net . until I get my legs here and learn to navigate the site.
Thanks for all your help
Keith,
Its not my pistol, it belongs to Joe who just joined ALR. I made the post to see if anyone could help him identify his pistol. You all can ask him questions about it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

YANKEEDROIE

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »
Hi Keith , I own the pistol and the lock is all hand made. 

keithvance62

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 07:41:48 PM »
Yankeedroie,

They very well could be handmade. They seem to be better quality than most of the early dixie stuff. About the only difference I can see is that mine is case hardened and not engraved. I'm curious now, if they're not dixies, who else was making decent quality locks in 1961?

Just took mine outside for some pics its signed Rex Maxey. Rex was a barrel maker from Morgan Co. Ky. He passed away a couple of years ago. Would the locks be this much alike if two different men made them? I have no idea what they are now.

-Keith Vance

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb137/cloff/MEMO0023.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb137/cloff/MEMO0025.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb137/cloff/MEMO0027.jpg

YANKEEDROIE

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:25:27 PM »
I see some similarities but not many. The guys had more talent with their files than with their letter stamps but boy they look alike. I do not know when my gun or lock was made. Before pulling the lock I had folks thinking this was a very early gun but I believe not. I don't think yours and mine are from the same hand. I also think the #13 on my barrel is the 13th gun he made and it shows. Well now I have a long gun with a John Roller lock what may be totally made by him , not sure , and a nice little w.g.p. flint pistol with no known maker. I love em both and thank you . if some info comes to you please do pose or email me .
thank you Keith .
Joe
jhae@sbcglobal.net

YANKEEDROIE

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:21:47 AM »
Keith the other point of interest is my internal parts are not hardened. I am no expert but would think these working parts should be hardened to some degree, yet they are all hand filed. Whats your take.