Author Topic: Pete Allen Locks?  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Bigmon

Pete Allen Locks?
« on: March 01, 2022, 11:20:40 PM »
Was just looking on line and found flintlocks by "Pete Allen".  At $150.00.
Anybody use any of these.  They look ok in the photos.  But they didnt show the innards.  Do they have bridles, etc?

Offline Frank

Re: Pete Allen Locks?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 11:40:32 PM »
I have one Pete Allen lock and it is an excellent sparker and easy on flints.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 12:29:00 AM »
Since I posted my inquirey I have done a little research and have not found a negative comment.
Gonna have to try one.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 01:00:35 PM »
  I got a Pete Allen small Siler I bought back about 1976, best lock I ever owned. Still sparks great. A good flint will last 100 rounds. Very lite springs,  not the rock crushers like the locks today. Where did you find this at ?    ;D.  Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 04:25:34 PM »
I found them listed at "The Gun Works".  I just searched that name and it came right up.
Thanks ya'all

Offline olbuck44

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 04:45:00 PM »
I have one on a Tip Curtis built Jaeger and it's been a great lock with good sparks and flints last a long time.  On mine, it prefers the flints turned upside down.  They aren't made anymore.  I was told last year that Pete's son was supposed to resurrect the foundry at a trade show in Jackson, Ohio.  However, I've been told they were coming back online for about the last three years.  It seems to me that mystery is equal to "how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll tootsie pop."  I wish they were as they are fast, dependable locks.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 05:17:02 PM »
 I have a Becky flintlock which seems to be a good lock. However, I broke the frozen spring by being a dope and replacements are impossible to find.
Kevin

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 10:17:13 PM »
I seem a little confuse.  Did he make locks from his own castings from scratch,  Or did he assemble other folks castings.  I see names like Siler.  But also a mention of his own castings.
Or did he do both?
Just curious.  On that wen site they seem to be all his own.

Offline Frank

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 11:55:12 PM »
My Pete Allen lock is a Davis Early Germanic. Assuming he built locks from several manufacturers.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 12:49:53 AM »
 That is Pete Allan. He left the business some years ago. He had a small, as in two person foundry and shop in the Twin Cities. He designed and cast a wide variety of parts. His absence from our sport is part of the reason that many specialized castings that were available some years ago are not available now. He has not sold his patterns 9the last that I know) although there have been attempts to buy them. Besides the Becky lock, named after his daughter Rebecca, he made a Wesson style lock and an innovative underhammer lock.
 It will be interesting to see if you can buy an Allan lock, because they are pictured on more than one companies website, but they have no stock. If that has changed (especially if his patterns changed hands) I would love to know.
Okieboy

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 04:44:35 PM »
Well I emailed the gun works  and they stated they had tha Pete Allen French fusil/trade lock in stock so I ordered one online last night . Figured I’d roll the dice and see . Will let you know how it plays out

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 05:20:52 PM »
Muzzle Loader Builders Supply shows schematics of a variety of Allen flintlocks and maybe they have parts.
The Becky frizzen spring is a very simple style.
Bob Roller