Author Topic: Steps in stock shaping  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Tim Ault

Steps in stock shaping
« on: April 15, 2022, 06:39:30 AM »
I知 still new at building from planks so I知 going to ask the more knowledgeable . I have all my hardware in place  lines laid out and going to start carving off excess wood in the morning . What is the best plan of sequence for shaping of the wood ? I知 thinking start with the lock area and work back to the butt then move to the fore stock . Am I on the correct path ? If not I壇 welcome advice .

Thanks , Tim

Offline ettoreR

Re: Steps in stock shaping
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 06:48:03 AM »
What I personally do, is I get the lock and barrel  inlet, I cut the end of the butt to shape for the profile of the butt plate, then from then I inlet the butt plate. The stock is still square at this point (I've already drawn my plans out on the stock and cut off the nessecary wood)  once the buttplate is inlet I star shaping the butt stock, up to the wrist and give myself about and inch or two from the lock mortice area. Once that's roughed out I get the lock mortices shaped up and the tang area to the profile I want. I keep working my way up the gun in segments. I'd highly recommend not shaping the forestock untill umyouve inlet your ram Rob thimbles, otherwise you may have jiggly thimbles when it's all said and done.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 07:44:35 AM »
I'm in same boat. In the videos I have, they happily use bandsaws to do most of the work, something I'm not going to do, as it seems like a recipe for disaster at my level. (I'm happy to use a bandsaw, just worried about cutting off stuff I shouldn't!)
 I've found Bill Raby's videos super helpful and plan on following more or less same procedure:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=71024.0
https://rumble.com/v10ifdn-tennessee-rifle-build-part-26.html

His bit-by-bit approach seems very manageable.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 02:50:33 PM »
Hi Tim,
Is the barrel inlet?  Start there, also inlet the tang, and then cut the ramrod groove and drill the hole. After that I usually start with the fore stock because its dimensions are determined by the barrel.  I trim it down until there is no more than 3/16" of wood on the sides of the barrel and square up the sides. That is when I mark and drill all the barrel pin holes.  Then I work back and rough out the wrist and lock area, taking most of the excess wood off the sides before inletting the lock.  I also do not inlet the trigger or guard at this point.  Mark where you want the trigger relative to the lock and figure out the length of pull. That determines where your butt plate goes.  Trim the butt down a bit and inlet the butt plate. then work forward to the wrist and blend it all together. Then inlet the rest of the parts. Most important get a copy of the "Art of Building the Pennsylvania Rifle" or "Recreating the American Longrifle".

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 02:54:45 PM »

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 02:57:40 PM »
Yes all metal is inlet ,barrel ,lock TG butt plate plate and rod hole is done  all parts are bolted and or pinned in their locations . The stock is rough profiled and I have my CL and comb lines laid out at this point .

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 03:49:38 PM »
Did you make any drawings to guide you?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 04:26:33 PM »

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 11:37:42 PM »
This is a great tutorial. 
https://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/tutorial.pdf
. Yeah I had some scribbling in the wood and drew som on paper still hard for me to have in my head and in book pics translate to the wood when I知 rasping away

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 11:39:04 PM »
This is a great tutorial. 
https://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/tutorial.pdf
. Yeah I had some scribbling in the wood and drew som on paper still hard for me to have in my head and in book pics translate to the wood when I知 rasping away
.   Thank you that was what I remembered reading before and forgot the name of