Author Topic: Thinking about a new rasp  (Read 4057 times)

Offline jmf

Re: Thinking about a new rasp
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2022, 03:35:47 AM »
I believe Lee Valley still sells the Iwasaki rasps. They might call them another brand, but still jave the same markings on the rasps. These are the best Ive used, but as noted, they are pretty agressive.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2022, 04:40:25 PM »
This Shinto rasp...what number or size/cut?  My 49 and 50 are getting tired.   

AFIK there's only one Shinto and it has fine/coarse and is flat on both sides.  That's it.
Hold to the Wind

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2022, 04:51:15 PM »

AFIK there's only one Shinto and it has fine/coarse and is flat on both sides.  That's it.

Thanks, I'll try one out.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2022, 05:35:09 PM »
This is one of my go-to rasps for primary stock reduction. It has 8 1/2” of cut surface. Very sharp when new. I believe the maker is Iwasaki. Available at Woodcraft. Around $40.00.

Stop Marxism in America

Offline tecum-tha

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2022, 09:31:09 PM »
I like the microplanes a lot. Leaves a good surface. Much less "scratching" than some traditional rasps.
https://www.ptreeusa.com/abrasive_brand_microplane.html

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2022, 08:44:16 AM »
I Mis-spoke about the Shinto rasp. I do have one and used it a year ago on a couple of smaller projects. I used to coarse side for basic shaping and then the fine side for final shaping. I was pleased with it and only having to use one tool. Not sure how long it will stay sharp especially with rock hard maple wood. Guess someone will chime in for that question.
elkhorne

Offline rodinal220

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2022, 12:53:20 AM »
I have these. Used one at a Jim Chambers class at Conner Prairie years ago on a Christians Spring - Edward Marshall. Made short work of the extra material on the butt.

https://www.forge-de-saint-juery.com/rasps-for-wood/

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/files-and-rasps/rasps/65242-auriou-cabinetmakers-rasps
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 06:12:04 PM by rodinal220 »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2022, 04:15:36 AM »
I like the microplanes a lot. Leaves a good surface. Much less "scratching" than some traditional rasps.

I forget about these and never used mine in the shop-it's a kitchen gadget for me with three regular uses: shaving down wine corks to fit various uses, shaving cinnamon from cinnamon sticks, and zesting peels.

Note to self to get a couple for the shop.
Hold to the Wind

Offline JHeath

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2022, 06:43:54 AM »

There's a plain Shinto with a handle like a file, and there's the one with the handle atop kind of like a plane. The "file" type is what I always use, but you can't rasp long flat surfaces with it. The "plane" handled one can only use the coarse, or the fine side, unless you can remove the handle and re-attach it to the other side. I never used one.

Offline JHeath

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2022, 06:51:04 AM »
I Mis-spoke about the Shinto rasp. I do have one and used it a year ago on a couple of smaller projects. I used to coarse side for basic shaping and then the fine side for final shaping. I was pleased with it and only having to use one tool. Not sure how long it will stay sharp especially with rock hard maple wood. Guess someone will chime in for that question.
elkhorne

In the last 30 years of intermittent use on everything from pine to ebony I never wore one out. But I lost one, I'm on my second. I wouldn't be without one.

A contractor couldn't reach inside corners with his router bevel when he replaced our formica countertop. There was 1/2" or more of formica overhanging the wood. I whipped out the Shinto, it quickly rasped the formica flush with the wood, then beveled the formica and wood, right into the corners the router wouldn't reach. The finished surface barely needed sanding.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2022, 08:08:03 PM »
I picked up a fairly cheap no-name rasp at Menards awhile back and gave it a try this week. Similar to a #49, I was amazed at how sharp and aggressive it was and you need to wear a leather glove when using it! Admittedly some of the files I have bought there are dead dull, but some are pretty decent.
Tom C.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2022, 10:23:38 AM »
I used my shinto rasp for the first time in anger today.  (On a new wooden powder flask project). Favourite feature is how easy it is to clean up afterwards. Coarse side to remove material, fine for final shaping and then some 220 grit removed the rest of the file marks easily.
 In contrast, on the concave side, I had to use my regular half-round rasp and had to sand for ages.

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2022, 02:18:47 PM »
Hi Tim,
I have nothing much to add to what others are writing.  I use Liogier, Auriel, Dragon, and Iwasaki rasps.  One in particular is very useful.  It is Liogier's "gun maker's" rasp. The rasp part is 12" long and it is 1/2" wide half round.  This is an ideal tool for shaping butt stocks and the comb.  The long length allows you to reach the entire butt stock from the butt plate without the handle hitting the end of the stock. That is really helpful for shaping baluster wrists and combs.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2022, 06:17:18 PM »

I also like the micro planes. Their pricing is low compared to the more exotic rasps and they do a great job (my opinion). Depending on how much wood I need to remove I usually start off with a chisel or a draw knife then a micro plane then a spoke shave or plane then a scraper. The wood will tell me what tool to use and when to use it. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2022, 09:53:51 PM »
Hi Tim,
I have nothing much to add to what others are writing.  I use Liogier, Auriel, Dragon, and Iwasaki rasps.  One in particular is very useful.  It is Liogier's "gun maker's" rasp. The rasp part is 12" long and it is 1/2" wide half round.  This is an ideal tool for shaping butt stocks and the comb.  The long length allows you to reach the entire butt stock from the butt plate without the handle hitting the end of the stock. That is really helpful for shaping baluster wrists and combs.

dave
. Thanks Mr Dave , yes that longer length sounds very useful  I’ve always had problems with the combs and wrists with the tools I have now that are full round their older Nicholson I believe  full round one is about 1/2” the other is slightly bigger all my other files or rasps are flat