Author Topic: Davis Trade / contract rifle lock  (Read 2264 times)

Offline utseabee

Davis Trade / contract rifle lock
« on: March 27, 2022, 01:44:00 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Davis Contract Rifle lock? The lock is similar to a few originals that I have seen. I am sure it will require tuning, but I am interested in seeing what people who used the lock think about it. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 02:06:12 AM by utseabee »
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Re: Davis Trade / contract rifle lock
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 03:02:18 AM »
It can be made to function extremely well by Brad Emig. Mine may have been an unusually poor example, though. Perhaps the Log Cabin/ Davis locks are better quality these days.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline utseabee

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 02:41:49 PM »
It can be made to function extremely well by Brad Emig. Mine may have been an unusually poor example, though. Perhaps the Log Cabin/ Davis locks are better quality these days.
Roger B.

Thank You Roger. Luckily, I only live about an hour from Brad. It has become my standard practice to take all my locks to him. I have had good luck with the Davis locks that I used in the past, but they were the ones that used Pete Allen's castings and I never used this lock.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 02:51:17 PM »
I don’t like the sear position so made a new seat and sear spring for the one I used. After that it worked fine with the usual polishing of bearing surfaces.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 04:10:30 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Davis Contract Rifle lock? The lock is similar to a few originals that I have seen. I am sure it will require tuning, but I am interested in seeing what people who used the lock think about it. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John
I used one on an early VA flint rifle, never again!!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 04:48:42 PM »
Junk.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 06:12:42 PM »
Junk.

What makes it junk, I'm curious.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 06:33:28 PM »
Doesn't  work well. Feeble sparker low performance  lock. Doesnt compare with any of the high quality locks on the market today.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 07:48:11 PM »
Thank you, Mike.  Quite nifty response.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline martin9

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 08:15:20 PM »
I bought one awhile back and wind up changing my build plans because of it...really poor lock IMO. it would barely throw any sparks and nearly jump out of my hand when I tripped the sear. Sent it back and bought a Chambers. I do like other Davis locks......using their Jaeger lock in a build right now.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 08:34:57 PM »
Doesn't  work well. Feeble sparker low performance  lock. Doesnt compare with any of the high quality locks on the market today.
Ditto, assume you could spend hours and make it decent. It and an L&R Ashmore lock are by far the sorriest sparkers I have used. Liked the looks of both but they just not good locks.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline utseabee

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 01:21:37 AM »
Thank you for the information. I will go a different route.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 03:03:02 PM »
Just as an aside here. I was looking through my old Muzzleblast magazines and found an article in which Jim Chambers went through the complete process of bringing a lock to market. The effort, and money involved are not insignificant. What struck me is why anyone would continue  past the design stage if the results were less than expected ??   If the model doesn't function well, why not make the changes that so many recognize as necessary to improve the performance ?   Seems like a poor investment to me .

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 04:39:41 PM »
Just as an aside here. I was looking through my old Muzzleblast magazines and found an article in which Jim Chambers went through the complete process of bringing a lock to market. The effort, and money involved are not insignificant. What struck me is why anyone would continue  past the design stage if the results were less than expected ??   If the model doesn't function well, why not make the changes that so many recognize as necessary to improve the performance ?   Seems like a poor investment to me .

I am guessing that some locks were made as copies of originals without much consideration as to whether the original was a good, fast, reliable lock. There were some very mediocre flintlocks in that era. Second, it’s clear that some makers try to use the same guts for several locks without thinking about or understanding the small nuances that could affect performance. So, same tumbler, bridle, mainspring, sear, and so on, stuck on different lock plates with different frizzen and cock sizes. Is all the distances were the same this could work but they usually are not the same. And it’s not clear that some of the makers are shooters. Chambers always focused on performance. His now-universal white lightning liners are a testament to that.

Some things done in lock making are ignorant and unconscionable or demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge, like putting a foot pad on the bottom of a frizzen simply to give the appearance of a light-tight frizzen to pan fit. At best it mashes the priming. At worst it could impede frizzen closure and increase wetness getting due to a propped-open pan lid.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2022, 08:59:44 PM »
The lock is INSIDE the plate.Close fitting parts and active preloaded sprins + hardened frizzens will work fine.My bench crafted locks showed the buyer user what I thought of him or her.Years ago Tom Dawson has a long talk with the first owners of L&R and showed them old English work and some I had made and in return was told about "production expedeients" and having the work done as fast as possible
I had wondered about the projection on the bottom of the frizzen and saw no need for it.It seems to be analgous to the car industry, with Lincols and Cadillacs on top and then a group of cars made to suit a price range.50 years ago the locks HAD TO BE the cheapest thing on the rifle and with a caplock just about any lock that stayed cocked until the gun was at the shoulder that was all that was needed.A flintlock is another beast entirely and any and all improvements proven good in the past should be incorporated in them.There is a reason they were called "Klatchlocks".
Bob Roller