Author Topic: Lenord Meadows Tribute Rifle build  (Read 987 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Lenord Meadows Tribute Rifle build
« on: March 21, 2022, 04:30:50 AM »
Good evening, all.
Back in 2019 I was able to purchase a beautiful Meadows long rifle ca 1974-5 from its original owner.
I then acquired a great cm full stock blank from Fred Depoy, and a Bill Large barrel, and new Roller flintlock and set triggers.
My intent was to build, with the help of my mentor Bob W, as close a representative rifle as I could.
I had Pecatonica mill the wood into a late Lancaster style, which is close, and do the barrel channel and rrgroove/hole
I fitted it to shootable condition, and began to have serious issues with my hands and eyesight .
After some discussion, I passed this project on to the Master that had learned much from Mr Meadows, Bob W,my teacher.
Bob is 81 now, has been building these guns since his 20s,starting in St Louis, Mo, and ending up with us WV folks in 72, and been here since
He is a member of nearly every collecting group there is ,and has wide areas of interest.
He got fired up recently to finish the build, and with many pics, rubbings, sketches, etc, and my rifle, finished it last week.
I dont remember taking any pics of it while I was working on it
Here he is with the finished work. It isn't a bench copy, but a representative tribute of many of Mr Meadows styles, and most found on my original
Pics on the way
ll get the specs up tommorow.
Very best regards to all. Good night.  8) 8)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 04:49:58 AM by mountainman70 »

Offline heinz

Re: Lenord Meadows Tribute Rifle build
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 04:23:24 PM »
Mountainman70
Thanks for posting photos of those grand rifles.  It is good to acknowledge the work of the earlycontemporary  builders who turned out nice work in a time when far less information was available on what was "period correct."  It is also good to recall how much of the longrifle culture came through the NMLRA and the shoots at Friendship Indiana.   I saw Lenord Meadows on the line at Friendship back in the late 60s and the70s.  They shot as well as they looked.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 10:25:54 PM »
Len Meadows bought a good number of locks and triggers from me over the years and I traded him some for the labor on the SMR he made for me.He notified me by mail and it was a rambling letter that mentioned the too hot weather,his dog was pregnant and his truck had a broken ring and smoked like a locomotive and THEN he says "Your riflegun is done and you can get it whenever you want to. The "want to" part came the next morning when Clifford Partlow and I hit the road to Shady Spring.We shot the gun about 20 times and Cliff,who had NO experience with black powder was impressed by the performance.The speed of ignition and accuracy was excellent and I used that gun a lot in my 5 years of ownership ,

Bob Roller             

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 11:39:19 PM »
Thanks Heinz and Mr Roller.
Bobs rifle is as much tribute to you and uncle Bill as
it is to Len Meadows.
Heinz the Meadows rifle indeed shoot well.
Bob Paris barrel.
Best regards Dave