Author Topic: Bevels on Chisels  (Read 1331 times)

Offline mgbruch

Bevels on Chisels
« on: March 22, 2022, 07:19:16 PM »
Just finished watching "Building the Daniel Boone Rifle" from American Pioneer Video, featuring Mike Miller.  Through the video it looked as if his chisel blades had two different angles on them.  A long shallow angle for most of the blade, then a shorter, less shallow angle for the actual cutting edge.  Am I correct, or is it an effect of lighting in the video?  Mostly I leave the bevel on my chisels to the same degree they came, but I have changed a couple.  What degree of bevel(s) do you other builders use on your chisels?  Many Thanks.

Jim Evans

Re: Bevels on Chisels
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 07:25:46 PM »
I use a 25 degree

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 07:43:25 PM »
He might be using a micro bevel?

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 08:25:37 PM »
That is not uncommon. A primary grind and a secondary grind or hone angle. There is no need to make a final grind or hone of the entire bevel, just the cutting tip.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 08:34:25 PM »
This video has a good explanation; (It's for a plane, but same principle applies)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 09:30:44 PM »
A "micro bevel" is very useful on a chisel when using it for grounding relief carving.  The bevel helps control the depth of cut and also works to burnish the background as you are removing wood.
David

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 10:19:53 PM »
My chisels vary a lot in angle depending on their use. I have some as fine as 20 degrees or possibly less (v-chisels for example) and beefier ones for narrow deep cuts like for single trigger blades.
Andover, Vermont

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 11:25:41 PM »
For general woodworking I use 25 to 30 degrees and for building rifles I like 25 degree. But I do use 20 degree and a little less than 20 but it tends to need a touch up more frequently when I am working on curly maple. I use a hollow ground using s Tormek T-8 water sharpener I also use flat water and diamond stones to flatten the back of flat chisel. For me I generally don't have to resharpen a chisel if I touch up the edge frequently.

I watched that video and noticed the different bevels I think the bevel is at least 20 degrees if you watch Herschel House he uses a very sharp bevel too I think he even says 20 degrees at some point.
Rob

Offline Not English

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 01:37:48 AM »
I've never measured my bevel angles. As Rich said, they vary by use. I sharpen by hand, so it's hard to say. My bevels are initially hollow ground on a wheel  and then honed on a stone with the bevel down and heel and edge both making contact. The bevel does indeed increase the more you stone it.

Offline mgbruch

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 08:15:07 PM »
Jakob, great video.  Thank you all.