Author Topic: Kasenit Unavailability and Bob Roller  (Read 11235 times)

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Kasenit Unavailability and Bob Roller
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2020, 12:06:53 AM »
Jerrywh and the rest of the crew,thank you all for all the additional information.
Now that I have the real Kasenit I  am at peace with the world ;D.
I am making only a few triggers each month now and Brenda's doctor appointments**
cut into the shop work more now.Also I am growing tired of shop work so after I
finish the 4 triggers I have names for I will do what Ross Dillion did and when I get
a few ready I will post them for whoever may be interested.This will apply to both
the Hawken and SMR/Ohio triggers.Also I have no plans to revive lock making and
am hoping someone will make a quality caplock of whatever style be it Hawken,Goulcher
or the fancier English Sporting/Target rifles types.
**She no longer drives so I am chauffer,
Bob Roller

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2020, 07:07:11 PM »
Bob, just to make sure she travels in style, get one of the older Packard or Rolls Royce phaetons with the glass divider separating chauffer from passenger.  I know you are very capable at maintaining one.  Maybe a Duesenberg?

So happy she is recovering well.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2020, 06:59:28 PM »
Dave, thanks for your efforts and sharing the results.
Richard

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2020, 09:09:24 PM »
PM sent your way Dave

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2020, 01:11:24 AM »
Bob, just to make sure she travels in style, get one of the older Packard or Rolls Royce phaetons with the glass divider separating chauffer from passenger.  I know you are very capable at maintaining one.  Maybe a Duesenberg?

So happy she is recovering well.

No Rolls,Packard or Duesenberg.Only our 1997 Lincoln Town car which is still in
very good condition.I bought it at an estate sale back in 2005 and can think of
no reason to be rid of it.I would buy another one if i could find a low mileage one,
Ours is the Executive series,whatever that means.The 1997's were the last of the big and roomy sedans
and the later ones are too heavy for that 4,6 litre engine and have less interior room.
Bob Roller

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2022, 06:26:27 PM »
Jerry, you missed this sentence written earlier. “...Jim Chambers told me directly that his parts are cast from 8620. ”
Richard
I think his frizzens are 5160
Also note that IMO they are what ever the foundry makes them out of when they pour them. Personally I think the use of chromium alloys for frizzens is why I end up facing them with 1095 to get them to spark and I am not alone in this. Chromium does not make a good sparking steel. Nor does any additions of moly or vanadium. But they cast better that simple high carbon steels and apparently have less failures when quenched. I believe that making frizzens from 51xxx-52xx series is more for the convenience of the lock maker and not for best function. But thats just me.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2022, 05:51:49 PM »
Dphariss, thanks for that info. How are you fixing the 1095 to the frizzen and hardening it? Silver solder and a quench?
Thanks Richard

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2022, 06:46:02 PM »
I think Kasenit and similar compounds are only good for hardening surfaces that rub against each other. Screws, bridles, tumblers, lock plates. No good for deep hardening needed on frizzens. There’s a lore out there that surface case hardening with Kasenit is the ticket for a frizzen that is too soft. Maybe it works for a minute or two. Maybe. There’s an article in the current Muzzle Blasts on it.
Andover, Vermont