Author Topic: Soddy Daisy flintlock re-creation  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Ezra

Soddy Daisy flintlock re-creation
« on: March 28, 2022, 10:26:33 PM »
Guys,

This flintlock on a Soddy Daisy, was recently posted by a member (sorry, I could not find his name to properly attribute it, but it’s not mine), I have a question about.

Were I to re-create this flintlock, particularly the lockplate profile, what commercial lock would you guys recommend to start with?  I’m thinking either Kiblers of Chambers late Ketland.  Any ideas how to find a similar cock?  Thoughts?

Ez

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Soddy Daisy flintlock re-creation
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 10:35:02 PM »
Guys,

This flintlock on a Soddy Daisy, was recently posted by a member (sorry, I could not find his name to properly attribute it, but it’s not mine), I have a question about.

Were I to re-create this flintlock, particularly the lockplate profile, what commercial lock would you guys recommend to start with?  I’m thinking either Kiblers of Chambers late Ketland.  Any ideas how to find a similar cock?  Thoughts?

Ez
L&R has a line of “RPL” locks with cocks like that. Check suppliers like Track for parts or try L&R directly.

This style of lock shown above is wider than the Chambers Late Ketland or the Kibler late flint lock. The closest profile is the L&R “Manton” but some have reported performance issues and that lock has a waterproof pan unlike above.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 11:05:20 PM »
I used an L&R cock they call the 0-1 and it is much better looking than the one used on the Late English locks. The last flintlock I made in August of 2019 used one on a Durs Egg and it was a good looking  lock.
Bob Roller

Offline okieboy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 11:17:42 PM »
 Is this lock thought to be the original lock for this rifle? The fitting just looks a bit odd.
Okieboy

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 01:13:23 AM »
Ezra,
 I was told by Johnny Walker on FB that he used the reinforced cock from L&R's Late English lock and it worked with little to no modifications on a Chambers Late Ketland.  Chris Hirsch sells a reinforced cock that is closer in appearance to your picture, but would need to be drilled and squared for the tumbler. https://www.texasguntrade.com/.  "DOUBLE THROATED ELWELL FLINTCOCK"  The throw distance between the Elwell cock and the stock Late Ketland cock is only .050" 
Kevin

Offline Ezra

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 02:19:48 AM »
Thank you gentlemen.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 03:06:22 AM »
Chris Hirsh has a cock casting that is close to that one. It will fit Chambers late Ketland. I bought one but haven't fitted it on a lock yet.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 03:07:08 AM »
Thank you gentlemen.

Ez
I have some double throated cocks that might work for you.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Collector

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 05:40:18 AM »
R.E. DAVIS 'CONTRACT RIFLE' LOCK WITH DOUBLE THROAT COCK:

Modified by Chuck Edwards:

Davis Lock/Original Configuration:

Davis Lock/Modified:

Original Robert Hughes (Attributed) Appalachian School Rifle/Ashmore Lock with Double Throat Cock:

Chuck Edwards Contemporary:

Good luck!