Author Topic: Flat top checkering  (Read 1471 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Flat top checkering
« on: April 17, 2022, 03:53:55 AM »
Some time back, Dave Person, (I think), showed how to make a set of checkering files for wide, flat top English checkering.
Been trying to find it with no luck.
Can anyone help me out?
Dave?
Thanks in advance!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Flat top checkering
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 07:19:17 PM »
I've done a wee bit of flat-top checkering.  You need to use a spacer tool to get the lines all parallel, I have used both a 16 lpi and a 10 lpi spacer tool - I liked the 10 best for the flat top work.

No one makes a 10-lpi tool that I am aware of, BUT there are 20-lpi "skip-line" tools that are exactly what is needed!  You can go ahead and use the standard tool, then lightly sand the diamond tips off.  The standard tool makes a "V" bottom groove.

I am contemplating making a "flat bottom" tool such as Larry Potterfield makes in his video.  the only round bar stock I have is 3/8" diameter, but that should work just fine.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.