Author Topic: A JP Beck Smooth Rifle (Possibly early?)  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
A JP Beck Smooth Rifle (Possibly early?)
« on: April 22, 2022, 01:21:16 AM »

I’m intrigued by this piece and hope maybe you are too, do you think this is an early Beck? Or does it even matter?

Here’s more info from RIAC - https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/85/3060/jp-beck-flintlock-american-long-rifle
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: A JP Beck Smooth Rifle (Possibly early?)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 01:28:12 AM »
Looks really legit to me.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 01:58:51 AM »
Wonderful.  Really like the patchbox lid engraving, bit different from what we normally see.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 07:47:36 AM »
Osprey, I am with you on this one. The sideplate bothers me a little too, as does the patchbox lid engraving. I have not seen much decorative engraving on Beck rifles before this one. But, the overall gun is pretty much stunning with high art carving in a somewhat early style for Beck. This clearly is a 1700s gun, possibly sometime in the late 1780s. Wish it was up on my wall.
Dick

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 02:39:08 PM »
Dick,

I agree - the side plate looks odd. The edelweiss on the lid doesn't appear to be the same hand either. The carving appears to be Beyers hand. As we've discussed in the past Beyer produced a lot of work in Becks shop. IMHO there is a lot of work out there that fit the Beck / Beyer "duet" rifle making. I haven't seen one that I'd toss to the curb. For comparison a photo of Beyers carving. Zoom in and you can see the identical carving details between the 2 rifles.

Buck

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 03:56:04 PM »
Dick,

I agree - the side plate looks odd. The edelweiss on the lid doesn't appear to be the same hand either. The carving appears to be Beyers hand. As we've discussed in the past Beyer produced a lot of work in Becks shop. IMHO there is a lot of work out there that fit the Beck / Beyer "duet" rifle making. I haven't seen one that I'd toss to the curb. For comparison a photo of Beyers carving. Zoom in and you can see the identical carving details between the 2 rifles.

Buck

Buck thank you so much, this is super interesting !!
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 11:25:58 PM »
Yazel,

No doubt it's a great rifle. As Dick pointed out there's something about the lid, the "dots / perforations" are spaced differently than the balance of the Patch Box. If you look at it long enough you'll notice the edelweiss stands out, maybe crisper or darker than the balance of the engraving on the PB. Could be a later replacement, not necessarily recent but later than date of manufacture.

Buck
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 02:49:25 AM by Buck »