Author Topic: where to jug choke barrel  (Read 1082 times)

Offline martin9

where to jug choke barrel
« on: June 04, 2022, 07:35:13 PM »
How far back from the muzzle does the "jugged" section of a jug choke sit? I ordered the brownell hone and want to try it in my 28 gauge.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: where to jug choke barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 02:45:42 AM »
If you get the right load and shot size in a 28 gauge you don’t need a jug choke. It’s much easier to get a tight pattern out of a smaller gauge than a big 10, 12, or 16. You will get shot strings with the smaller gauges, which will make wing shooting a little harder. There is not instant gratification in muzzleloading shotguns, you have to work with the individual gun and find out what works best in it.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 03:48:36 PM »
One of the tightest shooting guns I have ever had was a 28 bore with a 48" barrel and no jug choke.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline martin9

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 06:36:54 PM »
I've got a lot of loads worked up that pattern well. It seems to favor 4s and 6s. This gun has a 44" barrel. Always nice to get a little tighter pattern though.....with shot I'm hunting squirrels mainly but I'm confident in my turkey load to 25 yards or a little better. Killed 2 deer with it this past year as well....One with patched round ball and the other with ball over powder and an overshot card.

I'm building 46" barreled 20 gauge fowler now....where would I put the jug in on that barrel?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 07:08:20 PM »
I don't know it is really critical, but with modern chokes, the best choking seems to be a European variety where the "end choke" is the same length as the shot column.
The end choke is the section between the muzzle and the taper to the bore at the muzzle end of the choke.
Some American guys have a zero "end choke" and they shoot just fine.  This give the same profile as a swaged choke that is seen on inexpensive single shot shotguns.
What matters is working up the load that shoots best in whatever design choke you have.
I would think an end choke longer than the shot column would negate or destroy the efficacy of the choke.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 07:11:59 PM »
Lowell left an inch at the muzzle at bore size
 This ain't something you can just stick one of those cheap cylinder hones into and get good results.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline martin9

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 07:59:23 PM »
Daryl, that's interesting. I was thinking it probably shouldn't be too far back or it'd just wind up back at cylinder bore.

Mike, is anyone doing jug chokes I can send this 20 barrel to?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 08:12:03 PM »
Danny Caywood has done 3 of my barrels with excellent results.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline martin9

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 08:38:59 PM »
Thanks! I forgot about Caywood. I'll look him up.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 01:21:27 AM »
Lowell left an inch at the muzzle at bore size
 This ain't something you can just stick one of those cheap cylinder hones into and get good results.

I lucked out with the one I did with the cylinder hone. I did have a little practice with it on the chokes of a 10 SxS and 12 O/U.
I used emery contact glued to the pad locations.
Broke 10 for 10 with my .44 Smooth Bore caplock. 45 or 50gr. 3F and 1/2oz & 8 1/2's in a .410 shotcup with .050"" card under and over the shot/wad.
It also shot patched round balls well enough to shoot bunnies out to 50yards.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V