Author Topic: #3 x 1/4" screws - Where did they all go?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline BrentD

#3 x 1/4" screws - Where did they all go?
« on: June 10, 2022, 04:18:21 PM »
I am looking for #3 x 1/4" flat or oval head screws.  Unplated steel or brass, if necessary.  Track is out of steel and does not stock brass.  Where else might one look. I've tried a few other on line suppliers but they don't seem to have anything either.

One place sells zinc-plated wood screws and claimes that dunking them in rust remover will remove the plating. That has not been my experience.  Maybe there is another trick.  In any event, is there a good source of unplated, small screws out there somewhere?  They'd be nice for a lot of other projects besides escutcheons on a rifle, which is my current need.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: #3 x 1/4" screws - Where did they all go?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 04:39:00 PM »
Try Blacksmith screws and bolts. Black oxide, or bare steel screws of all sizes.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline BrentD

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 04:51:32 PM »
Thanks for that but they have nothing in flat heads shorter than 1/2" and nothing in oval shorter than 3/8". 

Offline Frank

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 05:08:05 PM »
I have bought hardware store screws and just sanded off the plating.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 05:50:27 PM »
When did they start using brass screws on guns?

Birddog6

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 05:57:27 PM »
I bead blast the coating off.  If it is a small screw, the coating is very thin. Screw the screw into
a piece of scrap wood to secure it, then blast it off.

You can also take some 200 grit wet/dry auto black garnet paper & do it, but the slot is tedious.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 06:18:01 PM »
You can also burn the plating off or heat them up and apply a drop of cold brown or blue. My first choice though is to buy them unplated to begin with.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline BrentD

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 06:47:28 PM »
When did they start using brass screws on guns?

Right after The First Great Steel Screw Shortage :)

Offline BrentD

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 06:50:47 PM »
I bead blast the coating off.  If it is a small screw, the coating is very thin. Screw the screw into
a piece of scrap wood to secure it, then blast it off.

You can also take some 200 grit wet/dry auto black garnet paper & do it, but the slot is tedious.

yes, the slot it tedious and it tends to be widened and deepened. The latter is not so bad - usually, but the former is.

In my experience, most zink screws are pretty poorly made as well.  But that's an other matter.  Maybe the only choice.  The screws I've bought from Track in the past have always been very well made. 

I'm surprised there isn't a go-to place for screws that rifle builders didn't patronize.  I guess it's a bigger issue than I thought. 

Offline kutter

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 07:01:16 PM »
Hold the Zinc/Cadium plated screw(s) in a propane torch flame for a few seconds and the plating is gone.
Wire wheel afterwards and th screw will be nice clean bare steel.

Yes it's hazardous stuff to breathe, so don't. Do it outside and be upwind of the little puff of smoke.
It's not like 1/2 the stuff we handle isn't dangerous to our health in some way.
Just use common sense

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 07:05:34 PM »
Brownells sells tiny wood screws.....and the plating on hardware variety screws comes off completely and instantly with a quick dip in hydrochloric acid (muriatic)....the kind you put in your swimming pool or hot tub.  And before I get a bunch of comments about "safety"*, its the same acid that all of us have a stomach full of and that people put in their pools and then jump in themselves. 

* I use acids of all types all the time in my work and in most cases they are indispensable.  But every time I mention the use of any particular acid on this board I get inundated with comments about safety.  Acids are like black powder.....dangerous but entirely possible to use safely for specific purposes.  Just my 2 cents worth... ;)

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/small-hardware/wood-screws/2x1-4-steel-flat-head-wood-screws-blued-12-pack-sku080550225-597-2498.aspx
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 07:09:09 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 07:07:04 PM »
Kutter,

You and I were posting at the same time... ;)  Yes....common sense....it seems to be at a very high premium these days !
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 07:19:06 PM »
"safety"*, its the same acid that all of us have a stomach full of , that’s why I use Prilosec.  8)

Offline Herb

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 07:21:30 PM »
True Value and Ace Hardware stores have a good selection of screws.  They have what you want.  They sell them by the piece, maybe 15 cents each.
Herb

Offline BrentD

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 08:29:03 PM »
True Value and Ace Hardware stores have a good selection of screws.  They have what you want.  They sell them by the piece, maybe 15 cents each.

nope been there.  no #3s at all, n
but 2s and 4s

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2022, 09:15:16 PM »

Give Jack Garner a call (not an email).  He sells them in bags of 100.....unplated, dome head.

(662) 594-1057
(662) 665-6030
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline BrentD

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 09:30:28 PM »
Thanks.