Author Topic: GRRW barrel  (Read 4070 times)

chapmans

GRRW barrel
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:57:36 PM »
 Could someone give me info on GRRW barrels, I an considering buying a rifle built in the 80's just after Douglas barrels were not available and GM wasn't around or just getting started. It's a .58 on a fullstock fancy flintlock. I'm sure this builder would not have used it if it wasn't a pretty good barrel, it has been fired very little, in like new condition. Any input will be appreciated.
  Regards, Steve Chapman

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: GRRW barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:12:40 PM »
I think those barrels had a really good reputation. I've had a few over the years, and very well made, good shooting, crisp clean rifling, good finish inside and out.

Tom

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:37:59 PM »
I have [or have had] 3 rifles with GRRW barrels in .45, .50 and .58.  Still have the .45 & .50, but sold the .58 [not because it was a bad gun--needed the $$ to buy another rifle].  The .45 is the most accurate barrel I have. GRRW barrels had the reputation for being very accurate and also, it was said, were "choked".  Although some have disputed that claim [choked], I found them tight on loading the first few inches--required a short starter [for my ball/patch loads].  I would not trade my .45 for anything--of course part of that is it was my 1st build.  I don't thnik you can go wrong with the GRRW barrel, all else being OK.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:46:27 PM »
I have a good one, GRRW in .69 that shoots well indeed. Any time you've a muzzleloading RB rifle that will shoot into 1 1/2MOA to 200yards, it's a good one to hang onto.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 05:50:19 PM »
Mine in .45 is a lot more accurate than I am- friends have shot cloverleaf 5 shot groups at 50 yards with it.  Very smooth loading barrel.

I would buy one of their barrels in a minute and consider them the equal to any offered today.
Andover, Vermont

Offline gusd

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 06:14:11 PM »
Mine is .54 cal. , have shot many deer with it!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:31:32 PM »
I have a used (15+ yrs) .62 cal GRRW that still looks new inside! I am going to shorten it an make a new, shorter jaeger for myself next year (I hope). It's always been a  tack driver! I've taken more deer (and 1 bear) with that barrel, than any gun I have ever owned!
That's my endorsement!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 11:11:54 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline patchbox

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »

In the mid 70s I had two rifles built,one with a Douglas 7/8"in 45cal. and the other with a Green River 15/16"barrel in 50 cal. The rifling in the Green River seemed to be cut a bit deeper than in the Douglas and the crown was a bit sharper making it a little harder to start a ball. Of the two I was able to squeeze a bit better accuracy out of the Green River. Over the years I had several more built with Green Mountain barrels. Of all of them the Green River has been my favorite.

chapmans

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 09:18:42 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies guys, I guess I will not hesitate to buy this rifle, I'm a sucker for a good .58 and I think this will be a good one. When I get it I'll post pics, should be in the next week or two.
  Thanks again, Steve Chapman
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:19:41 PM by chapmans »