Author Topic: First rifle from blank (without training wheels)  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
First rifle from blank (without training wheels)
« on: November 07, 2009, 04:08:22 PM »
I'm changing my name to "apprentice wood & metal butcher 4th class."  I just began my first rifle from a blank (on my lonesome) & have done both good & evil.  The good: work with the bandsaw getting the profile roughed in.  The evil: tang inletting too wide on one side & screwed up installation of touch hole liner (got the countersink too deep for the Chambers liner).  :'( Barrel is now a 41" Rice instead of a 42", but the bp & liner are back in correctly.  Lessons are being learned quickily, but painfully.  Never use a drill press for that job :o At least it gives my machinist friends something to shake their heads about.  This rifle will have nice lines & shoot straight, but I don't think I can hope for much more.  When finished, this will be a Tenn. style rifle with a nice, curly, Dunlap maple stock, Chambers late Ketland, 13/16 .45 Rice barrel, & over the counter iron furniture with banana patch box.  Don't lose sleep guys, there ain't no competition here.
Roger B.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 04:44:22 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Pete Allan

Re: First rifle from blank (without training wheels)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 10:26:22 PM »
Have no regrets -- You now fit right in with the vast majority of us out here in  computer land.  ;D
Things do improve with every new gun you build -- 

Birddog6

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 11:50:59 PM »
Hey....... Most all of us are butchers.........   ::)  It is just that some of us butcher allot more than the others  !!  :-[    ;D

Keep at it, it will all come around...  We all learn from our mistakes.......   ;)    My problem is remembering what the mistakes were at the proper times !!  ha ha ha !!   :D

Offline VP

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 05:13:11 AM »
I am finishing my third build. Things most certainly did improve on the third but still making mistakes. Experience just make you better at hiding them. I have often been told its not gun building it gun problem solving, one right after the other. Good luck and keep on keeping on.

Van

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »
My first blank gave me a blow out on the forearm in front of the trigger guard, I will install a brass blow-out patch, but am wondering if I can relocate the hole closer to the barrel channel?  Is there a way to re-direct the bit upwards?