Author Topic: Recent morphys  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Recent morphys
« on: December 15, 2022, 11:43:35 PM »
Call me crazy.  Go ahead, I don't care.

Am I the only one that thinks, "d*mn, that sure looks like a roughed out Oerter without rifle furnishings?"

Seriously.  Look at the architecture and the stocking, short little cheek etc. - whoever stocked it wasn't a hack.  The lines and shaping are good.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_a__bucks_county_stocked__us_surcharged_tiger_mapl-lot552458.aspx
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Recent morphys
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 01:47:48 AM »
Not crazy. I couldn’t make the connection till you pointed it out though.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 03:49:47 AM »
A neat gun for sure.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 04:24:19 AM »
Eric,

I agree with your conclusion. I wouldn’t have given this one a second look much less a long stare the first time around. Good eye - you're crazy.

Buck
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 03:13:05 PM by Buck »

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 10:19:10 PM »
Interesting take, Eric. It kind of reminds me of the RCA #52 in its lines and very shallow drop. I see it went for a good amount over the estimate—maybe we aren’t the only ones who had this theory!

Offline RAT

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 11:59:11 PM »
To me it looks more like an unskilled person copying the work of someone else. They had the natural talent to copy what they saw, but too inexperienced... or without access to the proper tools... to make an exact duplicate. Don't get me wrong... they had a good eye for detail. Natural talent like that can be nurtured into greatness. I think we've all seen work that looks like the person had the right schooling, but never developed the eye. That's something you're either born with or you're not.
Bob