Author Topic: Anti-scale in bore  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Scota4570

Anti-scale in bore
« on: September 09, 2022, 03:37:56 AM »
I have been pondering how to silver solder a bayonet lug on the Baker project and protect the bore.  The boric acid suggestion sounds good.

In addition CO2???  If the bore were flooded with CO2 that would be extra insurance?   Could I put dry ice in breech end of the bore?   It would be relatively colder and would not go crazy when I silver soldered the lug on at the muzzle??  Yet it would sublimate and exclude oxygen?   

Offline bnewberry

Re: Anti-scale in bore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 05:09:01 AM »

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 06:10:02 AM »
I question the use of hard solder(real silver solder, near pure silver) as its melting temperature is too high(~1100F) and may/will damage the barrel.  If you are talking about silver bearing (96 % tin 4% silver) soft solder with a melting temp of about 430 F that should be OK. Not sure how strong such a joint would be unless the lug has a band around the barrel.Just sayin'.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 07:34:36 PM »
I used hard silver solder to attach the bayonette lug to the Baker I made in 2009 ... same solder used for joining carbide teeth to saw blades, using red heat.  It didn't hurt the bore in any way.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 05:35:42 PM »
I used to do a lot of cartridge dangerous game rifles, where an additional recoil lug was needed. The solder used for that takes a much higher temperature than anything we use on muzzle loaders. A close fitting wooden dowel in the bore prevents scaling.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 07:07:47 PM »
I used to do a lot of cartridge dangerous game rifles, where an additional recoil lug was needed. The solder used for that takes a much higher temperature than anything we use on muzzle loaders. A close fitting wooden dowel in the bore prevents scaling.

That is exactly the temperature solder Taylor used and it was used on a muzzleloading rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 11:07:11 PM »

That is exactly the temperature solder Taylor used and it was used on a muzzleloading rifle.

Ya pays your money, and you takes ya chances. Better safe than sorry.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 07:09:00 PM »
LOL - I guess there is a misunderstanding. The silver solder Taylor used on that Baker Rifle was one of the highest heat silver solders in use today. It is used to solder carbide teeth onto the huge saws used in lumber mills. The tensile strength is in the 70,000 to 75,000psi range with a 1 mil. bond. ::)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 08:43:13 PM »
The "good" silver solder that flows like water is no longer sold.  It had cadmium in it.  The safety bed wetters made them pull it from the market.  IN a similar vein good case hardening compound was removed from the market over regulators  misunderstanding of the chemistry of cyanide compounds.