Author Topic: Barrel inletting- how much is right?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline bptactical

Barrel inletting- how much is right?
« on: March 12, 2024, 08:02:46 PM »
Good day fine folks-
 I am currently building up a Sharon Trade Rifle kit from way back and I am curious on the crews views on barrel inletting.
Keep in mind this is a precarved maple stock.
How much color transfer from barrel contact on the stock do you consider "enough" that your inletting is complete?
We know that aside from using a bedding compound that 100% contact is impossible.
What is good enough for you?

Discuss in a civil manner..... ;D
The most important thing to be learned from those who demand “Equality For All” is that all are not equal

Offline Daryl

Re: Barrel inletting- how much is right?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 08:06:37 PM »
I wasn't aware that 100% barrel contact was impossible without using bedding compounds.
Taylor inlet my .69's barrel perfectly, without using bedding epoxies.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 08:23:38 PM »
Is the lock inlet?  Percussion or flint ?

Offline bptactical

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 08:29:58 PM »
Is the lock inlet?  Percussion or flint ?

Partial-

Also the the above about Taylor- I understand those with extensive experience can probably achieve near perfection.

Im referring to the average Joe
The most important thing to be learned from those who demand “Equality For All” is that all are not equal

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2024, 08:40:20 PM »
Hi,
I like to see a lot of black on the back and bottom half of the mortise at the breech for about the first 2 -3 inches from the breech and then even spotting, but just spots for the rest of the channel. 

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 11:46:52 PM »
I watched a video recently where the builder stated he was concerned about the first 6-8” at the breech, and about the same at the muzzle. In between he wasn’t concerned about perfection. It wasn’t sloppy, but not perfect.

Also, is your stock a pre-carved, or pre-inletted?  Pre-carve doesn’t have any lock or trigger mortise.

Because your stock is a Pre-carve you may wish to look at the space between the bottom of the barrel channel and the top of the RR hole. Usually, on pre-XXXX they leave a generous amount of wood (web) space there.

Ideally a space of 1/8" is good as it keeps the profile of the rifle "very slim" when it's all said and done. If your at the very start you may wish to consider scraping the barrel channel to get to that 1/8" distance. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 11:53:22 PM by Steeltrap »

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 12:03:41 AM »
The Smart Dog is right-on in my book. Especially if you are hand inletting with curly wood you shouldn't obsess about getting 80, 90, 100% black, especially with a smooth-bored barrel.

JMC

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 03:14:28 AM »
   Of the few originals I've taken a part. The first three to four
inches of the breech were very persice Also with the muzzle,  the rest not so much. JMPO

Offline BJH

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 03:34:51 PM »
Good day fine folks-
 I am currently building up a Sharon Trade Rifle kit from way back and I am curious on the crews views on barrel inletting.
Keep in mind this is a precarved maple stock.
How much color transfer from barrel contact on the stock do you consider "enough" that your inletting is complete?
We know that aside from using a bedding compound that 100% contact is impossible.
What is good enough for you?

Discuss in a civil manner..... ;D

Breech fit should be as good as possible. Bottom barrel flat should be fitted pretty well as your probably going with a keyed barrel tennon. Sides just have to be neatly fitted with no obvious gaps. BJH
BJH

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 04:56:13 PM »
As Dave, Old Traveler and others have said breech important then not so much
Some very nice original and competently made British guns have more or less a round barrel channel even when their breeches are octagonal.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 05:14:44 PM »
I have an old antique stock that has a round barrel channel and had an octagon barrel.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 05:38:22 PM »
I tend to look for consistent contact throughout the length of the channel…doesn’t necessarily have to be very high percentage, just adequate and consistent.
Mike Mullins

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 06:32:58 PM »
I have an old antique stock that has a round barrel channel and had an octagon barrel.
My flintlock pistol was inlet for a round barrel, with round channel. When the percussion lock is on it along with the .45
barrel, the channel is round, but the barrel is octagonal.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline 45-110

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 08:04:38 PM »
I do not build for living, that is why I have strived for full contact on round or octagon barrels for the last 50 years. I made scrapers for each profile as needed. To me its a indication a of higher refined workmanship. I also do not hog out wood in the lock mortise but fit each piece independently and precisely. All this gives me a sense of satisfaction, and it does not matter if its all unseen. Raising the bar on each build is a personal challenge for me.
kw
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 10:08:28 PM by 45-110 »