Author Topic: Flintlock Pistol finished  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Flintlock Pistol finished
« on: September 08, 2022, 10:20:52 PM »
I have just finished building this flintlock pistol today. Small Siler lock, GM .45 barrel, Pecatonica stock and various parts from MBS.
I wanted to test fire it out but we're getting rain storms passing through again  Hopefully tomorrow I will have a better opportunity.
Found a small surface stress crack (or maybe I over-wet it while raising the grain?) on the side panel after dying the wood. I was so upset. Nothing takes the wind out of my sales than stuff like this.
Anyway, hope it shoots great.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 10:35:35 PM by Bob Gerard »

Offline BJamesBeck

• Starting Member
Re: Flintlock Pistol finished
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 11:31:29 PM »
That's a beauty, despite the flaw you've pointed out. Was this a stock black from Pecatonica or their Kentucky pistol stock?
*All opinions expressed here are mine alone and are NOT meant to represent those of any other entity unless otherwise expressly stated.*

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 11:40:52 PM »
They call it the “Dueling Pistol”. I liked it more than their Kentucky because it had a straighter grip.
I think soon I will be thinking of getting a less shaped stock with only the barrel and ramrod channel and hole done. I would like to shape the grip myself.

Offline BJamesBeck

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 11:44:10 PM »
Ah okay, I thought it might be. I was looking at that one as well but they didn't have a .50 caliber barrel available that would fit the stock so I ended up going with a Kentucky stock. I am hoping it will ship shortly, I placed the order about a week ago now. Your pictures have me even MORE excited to get started!
*All opinions expressed here are mine alone and are NOT meant to represent those of any other entity unless otherwise expressly stated.*

Offline taco650

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 12:14:02 AM »
Nice job!  You could probably repair the crack so that if it still shows, it will look like a grain line.  But even if you don't, I still think you did a nice job on it.  Hopefully it will be a nice shooter as well.

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 12:22:34 AM »
Nice pistol Bob. Working on one now and hope it turns out as nice as yours. I’m looking for a small Manton lock to go with mine.
aka “digger658”

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 12:52:59 AM »
Hi Bob,
You did a nice job and made a handsome pistol.  Are you open for some constructive advice?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 01:10:05 AM »
Hi Bob,
You did a nice job and made a handsome pistol.  Are you open for some constructive advice?

dave

Hi Dave- thank you and yes, I am grateful for all your advice. (Hopefully it will fall within my very limited skill-set)   :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 01:15:08 AM by Bob Gerard »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 04:51:52 PM »
Hi Bob,
On pistols, the lock area is everything.  They don't have big fore stocks or butt stocks, and the handles are usually pretty straight forward.  The eye is first drawn to the lock and side plate.  Yours could be better defined and the flats considerably smaller but the main advice I have concerns how you treat the front of the lock and side plate panels.  Look closely at the pistols below.

The lock panels follow the lock back toward the pan rather than angling up to the barrel.  That creates much better definition for the panels and slims them considerably.  Also note the concavity of the edges of the panel is only tight right around the nose of the lock or side plate panel. As the panel curves back toward the pan, that concavity becomes much flatter.  On the side plate panel, the shape is designed to fit the side plate rather than mirror the lock.  On your pistol, the upper edge of the panel would look better if it was brought lower, closer to the side plate and the  bottom edge raised closer to the plate.  That would make the side plate panel look slimmer and trimmer and not so bulky.  Moreover, consider cutting either a step in the side plate panel along the barrel channel or angle a smooth curving line down from the rear lock bolt to the nose of the panel but make the edge of it drop below the edge of the barrel channel.  Again, that will slim things immensely.  I have the same advice for your recent Sparrow pistol.  That pistol is supposed to be English and my suggestions will help make it look more English.  They are both handsome pistols and my advice is only meant to help you improve your game.

dave   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 07:18:35 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 03:43:37 AM »
Hi Dave- I think I follow what your saying here. I will be referring to these techniques on the next build (whenever that may be.) My thought is to share more as I go along so that some of these things can be caught before the end of the project. (I got great building advice on the Fusil de Chasse doing that...)
I also realized after drilling and pinning the forward trigger guard tang that the pin was going to cause the bottom edge of the lock panel to be too thick. I will try locating that pin inside the lock mortise if I can, so it wont intrude on the panel.
Thanks for your guidance again. It's much appreciated.
~Bob