Author Topic: Peep Breech  (Read 855 times)

Offline foresterdj

Peep Breech
« on: September 10, 2022, 06:09:12 AM »
I know many prefer open rear sight to be most historically correct.  I know there have been threads though from shooters who (like myself) see and shoot a peep better. I know there are threads showing how others have tackled the peep sight install on their muzzleloaders.

Then today I had the idea for a peep breech. A breech plug with an upward extension that would stick up above the top flat, drilled and tapped to use screw in apertures (like those used on Williams gun sights) which are available in various opening sizes. By design, it should be pretty much dead center of bore at breech. Sight adjustment made by drifting and/or filing of front sight.

The existing breech plug on your favorite gun could be replaced with this style and if you ever wanted to return it to original just put the original back in. No other holes have been created in barrel, tang or stock.

If anyone with machining skills wants to make some for sale, let me know, I would buy one.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Peep Breech
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 07:14:57 AM »
That is certainly an interesting idea!  The main concern I would have it getting the correct height of the peep to shoot where you want the point of impact at a particular distance.  Also if you change your load or shoot at different distances it may present some issues with your sighting.  Just my two pence worth.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline 45-110

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 02:30:56 PM »
That's a whole lot of machining to make, and then there is no windage/height adjustment that surely would be needed.
kw

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 04:51:12 PM »
we have a friend who has a grandson and several years ago I remodeled a T/C Cherokee into a mini Creedmoor by adding a 17A Lyman
front sight on a screw controlled base and a folding tang sight.This was all specialty machine shop work that was an enjoyable thing and the boy is now a 210 pound man and still ha that rifle.
Bob Roller