Author Topic: Trigger not catching (set trigger)  (Read 2302 times)

New2this

Trigger not catching (set trigger)
« on: November 06, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »
Hi all -
Well I got out to the range today to fire one of my longrifles finally... overall went very well. However, I ran into the issue of the rear (setting) trigger not catching. In other words, when I pull the rear trigger, it won't catch to engage the front hair trigger, and instead just springs back to its neutral position. Have any of you encountered this issue? What do you suggest?

FYI i'd estimate it catches successfully about 15% of the time, as apposed to my other set triggered gun which is 100%. Don't know if that helps.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Trigger not catching (set trigger)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »
Turn the screw out.   ;)

Beyond that, you might have some crud in there hanging things up.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:00:11 AM »
Is this a new rifle or a trigger that used to work and now doesn't? If Stophel's suggestions don't work take the trigger out and see if it sets ok, if so then you have something inside the mortise causing the problem. It may be binding on wood, or there may not be enough clearance between the sear bar and the trigger levers. Either way taking it out and checking to see if the trigger itself is the problem is the first step in fixing it.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

New2this

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 01:25:40 AM »
Problem solved. I had replaced the triggerguard for a more accurate one on this particular rifle, and there wasn't enough clearance for the rear trigger (yeah, my mistake. Doh!)

Thank you everyone for the tips