Author Topic: One more newbie question(hopefully the last)  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

One more newbie question(hopefully the last)
« on: November 01, 2009, 05:32:24 PM »
On my almost done Beck rifle(first build obviously) which would be the appropriate screws for the toe plate, round or flat head. I haven't been able to see a picture of an original beck toe plate so I am unsure.

This is the only picture I have of my toe plate on photo bucket.  I promise the fit and stock shaping looks much nicer now. Here I am gluing in little maple chips to close some inletting gaps.  I got much better at inletting as the gun progressed.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 05:35:21 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: One more newbie question(hopefully the last)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:09:41 PM »
Pean the brass then refile.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 07:29:35 PM »
Eric,
In answer to your question concerning screws, flat head, plain slotted steel screws, countersunk flush or filed flush if slightly proud of the brass is my preference. I believe that is also historically correct, but I defer to those here with far more knowlege than myself. I hope you continue to build. Each gun teaches us lessons we benefit from as we build another. And continue to ask questions, you are at the right site for that.

timM

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 07:57:59 PM »
Eric,

There is an example of toe plate screws on one Beck in the "Library's Virtual Museum" under Pennsylvania exhibits for JP Beck.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 08:40:40 PM »
Thanks for the replys. The photos are great. I had overlooked them in my search. Flat head screws for sure.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:40:09 PM »
Here is the toeplate in place with the suggested counter sunk flat head screws, I like it. The stock has been stained with aqufortis and has it's first coat of Chambers oil finish on. The oil darkened the wood considerably but I like dark guns. The toeplate is actually polished but has some of the oil finish on it I haven't cleaned off yet. These are zinc plated screws so I burned the zinc off with a torch. While I had them cherry red I thought" why not harden the heads" so into an oil bath they went. I won't be buggering up these heads with a screwdriver.

Here is my drying fixture to hold the gun after the finish has been applied, an extra long barrel pin and a string hung from my garage door frame.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:56:57 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
I have a newbie question on my first from scratch build,  Chuck Dixons book says to pin the barrel and leave the pins protruding from the sides.  How do you form the fore-stock and work around the pins while doing so?  The answer is probably obvious, but it eludes me.

Brett.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:07:51 PM »
Pull the pins.

Bruce