Author Topic: New squirrel rifle  (Read 2003 times)

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

New squirrel rifle
« on: October 10, 2022, 03:04:57 PM »
My father just finished up my new squirrel rifle. The build was inspired by the John Rupp rifle with the side opening patchbox. Rice Allentown barrel in 36 caliber, L&R Dickert lock, maple stock. Had it to the range yesterday for the first time, let's just say the squirrels better watch out now.

Offline Kopfjaeger

Re: New squirrel rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 04:20:04 PM »
Nice. Beautiful rifle.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 04:50:15 PM »
I'm betting you have a great Father!!  I know I did!!  Enjoy and love him, I miss mine every day.  Mom too.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 07:36:17 PM »
Ditto on the miss mine. Great rifle and I wish you many successful hunts.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 02:18:52 AM »
Bigmon, yes my father is amazing, just like his dad was. I cherish the time I get to spend with him.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 03:07:45 AM »
That's a fine looking rifle. As long as the comb is not too high, it should be a pleasure to shoot.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 02:29:29 PM »
Fine looking rifle!  Happy Hunting!

Tony

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 02:46:40 PM »
That's a fine looking rifle. As long as the comb is not too high, it should be a pleasure to shoot.

Its probably a touch high, but being a 36 the recoil is very slight. I didn't notice any of the dreaded Lehigh cheek slap. My 54 made to the same pattern on the other hand will let you know if you have your face too far forward. One of these years I might bite the bullet and modify the comb.

Offline jgraham1

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 04:59:27 PM »
Very nice work on that rifle.

Jerry

Offline wapiti22

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 03:34:22 AM »
That’s very nice!!!

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 06:35:52 PM »
What is your load you are using?  I was shooting my 36 yesterday.  Really tough with my bad right eye.
I was using 30 Gr 3F, .350 ball and18 patch. n Shooting the same hole at about 15 yds.  I just cannot see any better if I move it out.  Shooting at a mark about the size of a quarter.
I had a nice ragged one hole for most shots.  With a few off mark here and there.
Do you guys think 30 Gr is enough.
I also have a 8" gong at 65yds and was hitting that every time.  So it must not drop off too much?
I was just thinking, a 30-40 Krag and 30 30 Winchester both were designed initially for black powder and they only used 40 and 30 gr respectivly??

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 06:45:00 PM »
What is your load you are using?  I was shooting my 36 yesterday.  Really tough with my bad right eye.
I was using 30 Gr 3F, .350 ball and18 patch. n Shooting the same hole at about 15 yds.  I just cannot see any better if I move it out.  Shooting at a mark about the size of a quarter.
I had a nice ragged one hole for most shots.  With a few off mark here and there.
I also have a 8" gong at 65yds and was hitting that every time.  So it must not drop off too much?
I was just thinking, a 30-40 Krag and 30 30 Winchester both were designed initially for black powder and they only used 40 and 30 gr respectivly??

I was shooting 35 and 40 grains 3F Goex, .350 ball and spit lubed .018 patch. Swaged balls from Gander Mountain (old stuff) and hand cast from an old Dixie scissors mold. All shots in the ten ring at 25 yards off the bench. I'd like to get back to the range with some thicker patching, like .022 denim and see if I can tighten the group up a bit. My patches did have a few nicks from sharp rifling, so I need to address the muzzle, like I have read on here using a ball and some emery cloth.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 08:00:48 PM »
I was just thinking, a 30-40 Krag and 30 30 Winchester both were designed initially for black powder and they only used 40 and 30 gr respectively??

I use the same ball dia. in my .36, Bigmon, however I use 38gr. of 3F GOEX. I used to use .36gr. in the .32 barrel on this rifle, and after removing all I could from the horn measure, 38gr.
is the load. When I use a different powder horn, I use an adjustable and run it at 40gr. This load shoots quite well and the little bunny rabbit silhouette at 109yards gets hit if I don't screw up & flinch from the flash.
The 2 ctg. you mentioned are and were always smokeless rounds, 30 and 40gr. respectively.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alacran

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 03:28:05 PM »
Very nice rifle. It is really long or you are very short. The incised carving is well done and crisp. Skwerls will be proud to be kilt by it.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 03:40:47 PM »
Very nice rifle. It is really long or you are very short. The incised carving is well done and crisp. Skwerls will be proud to be kilt by it.
The rifle has a 45 inch barrel, I am 5 foot, 8. I am still waiting for the first suicidal squirrel to offer me a shot.