Author Topic: 1760's Virginia Rifle  (Read 17690 times)

Daryl

Re: 1760's Virginia Rifle
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 06:10:09 PM »
Funny, Tom - you are not alone, though. Meaning LOTS of funny guys out there - WaHahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 10:38:32 PM »
That is truly outstanding work and a classic of the longrifle.  Regards, Lon

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 12:35:01 AM »
That's a superb rifle! Congratulations on a job well done. You're a real craftsman and a fine gunbuilder. Can you tell me where to get the finishing oil, "E.K.'s stinky oil?" Thanks.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 01:39:30 AM »
What a fine rifle!

Please don't consider this criticism as I'm just curious.  I REALLY like the rust blued barrel and wondered why you didn't do the lock as well?

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 03:05:42 AM »
Tom
I'm pretty sure it will be at Lewis burg. :) :)

Dogcreek
The oil is Raw Linseed oil boiled with lead by Eric Kettenburg.He had extra and sold it here on the site.Don't know if he has any more though.

Artificer
Don't have a real good answer.I have never really like the look of a browned lock so usually leave them bright.I think a bright barrel would be historically correct but don't like the glare,so I've usually browned the barrel and left the lock bright.This the first barrel i've ever rust blued and to be honest never gave the lock any thought.Might look nice though!!

Mitch

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 03:25:07 AM »
The bright lock is correct and looks good. Leave it alone.
I like the treatment around the tang. A lot of the southern beavertail carvings don't really work well with the architecture of the stock, but yours does. Good work.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2009, 05:27:09 AM »
nice looking rifle mitch.

RevNate

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 07:55:47 AM »
The barrel was browned with aqua-regia then boiled in water for a rust blue.It's something I've been wanting to try and am pleased with the results.I thought about heat bluing but wanted something more durable on a hunting rifle.

Mitch

First of all- beautiful rifle!

I would be interested in knowing more about this process. I am new to this- but I like the finish.
Thanks,
Nathan

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 03:41:13 PM »
Rev
I used aqua-regia to brown the barrel as usual.Aqua regia is hydrochloric acid,nitric acid and water with iron dissolved in it.I made my own but Wahkon Bay make a Browning/blue solution that is available which I believe is aqua-regia.The process is first draw file and sand the barrel to 220 grit.Degease and coat with the solution and let it rust for 12 hours.Card off the rust with degrease steel wool or plastic abrasive pad.Wear gloves to avoid finger prints.Repeat this process until you have a nice even brown.The I boiled the barrel in distilled water until blue(about a 1/2 hour).Most people boil the barrel after each rusting and before carding.I had a brain fade and only boiled at the end.after boiling I coated the barrel with beeswax.Glad to answer any more questions if anythings not clear :)

Mitch

sscrm13

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2009, 09:22:13 PM »
Hey Mitch,

Are you sure that's a Virginia Rifle?  it looks a lot like a Reading Rifle  ;D

It came out great.

Scott

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2009, 12:06:29 AM »
Did you do the big, round box opening?

Yours doesn't look as crooked as the original gun does!   ;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2009, 12:32:08 AM »
Funny Scott!!!The carveing behind the entry pipe is my tribute to Reading ;D ;D

Stophel
Yes the box opening is round.That's one of the things tying this rifle to others from the area.

Mitch

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2009, 04:48:54 AM »
Mitch the rifle turned out great.

I knew in class that it was going to be super when you finished it. I just finished mine and got to sight it in this past weekend. It holds very nice and is a good weight for a 54. 

Great work my friend
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Eric Fleisher

• E. Fleisher Shot Pouches
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2009, 08:44:26 AM »
Looks great Mitch!  I can't wait to see it in Lewisburg.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2009, 02:59:03 AM »
Artificer
Don't have a real good answer.I have never really like the look of a browned lock so usually leave them bright.I think a bright barrel would be historically correct but don't like the glare,so I've usually browned the barrel and left the lock bright.This the first barrel i've ever rust blued and to be honest never gave the lock any thought.Might look nice though!!

Mitch

I've seen a couple of rifles at Colonial Williamsburg with rust blued locks and they do look very nice.

However, that bright lock just jumps out at you and looks amazing.