Author Topic: October rifle building class  (Read 1562 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
October rifle building class
« on: October 08, 2022, 05:34:36 AM »
My October class is now history. It was a small but great class. My students were a father and son team , Paul and Bob McDonald. It was an honor to have Paul and Bob back for their 5th class with me. They spoiled me with homemade cookies and a big pot of chicken and sausage gumbo that they brought to class. Man did we eat well.

Paul was working on a Lancaster style rifle and Bob was working on a Lehigh rifle. Both of them had been working on their projects at home before class and had made a lot of progress before coming to class. Paul made his first ever patch box and release. He did a great job. Bob made his first wrap around nose cap and it turned out great for his first time making one.

Here is Bob with his project. He did the final stock shaping, carving and made the nose cap in class.

Here is Paul with his Lancaster.

A proud father and son.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Online Carl Young

Re: October rifle building class
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 06:01:01 AM »
Just goes to show that a good teacher can teach a dog new tricks, even if the dog is a Mississippi Bulldog ;D

Glad y'all had a good time, wish I could have been there!
Carl

Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 04:37:22 AM »
Must be the gumbo that makes them put out rifles like those.  8)

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 04:20:57 PM »
That gumbo works wonders on anything. Heck when I finish a big ole bowl of gumbo, I feel like I could paint the Mona Lisa..! “GOOOOD STUFF.” And I know those MISSISSIPPI boys know how to cook it...!
Looks like they turn out great looking rifles also..! Nice work fellows...!

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 08:34:52 PM »
Bob, everything goes better when gumbo is put into the mix. Momma made some fresh cornbread to go with it. The Mississippi boys made enough for to have gumbo for two night and it was just as good the second night. Now, I just got to figure out how to get some more. ;D

Jim Parker

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 01:18:28 AM »
Gumbo is always better a day or two after you make it, seasonings get more intense after it sets awhile. Like one of Jim’s custom rifles it just gets better with age.! Good gumbo cooks will tell you,”it all in the roux.”Good gunmakers will tell you in building rifles,”it’s knowing what to do.”Mr Parker knows what and how to do it when it comes to gun building . And he shares his knowledge with anyone who wants to learn. The two rifles being completed on this blog pictured above are evidence of the students having the desire to learn and the teacher(Jim) having the knowledge to pass that on to his students.
Two family heirlooms being created by a father and son.. wow...!!!!!

Bob
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 01:55:18 PM by Rajin cajun »
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 02:13:50 AM »
Jim,

Minor correction - 5th year coming to your classes. Probably my 8th or 9th trip over in those 5 years. One of these days, I might actually learn something! In truth, I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and the great teacher that Jim is. Pop and I have gained more than a education, we've gained a friend and mentor. Jim's wife, Ms. Celeste, is a charming hostess and I'm thankfull for her hospitality as well.

I had a number of "oh @!*%!" mistakes on the Lancaster that we spent a good bit of time correcting. It's a hard way to learn but the lessons stick. I have a few more photos I'll post as soon as I get them transferred over from my phone.

Finally, for our cajun friends, 2 lb of shrimp, 1 lb of crab meat, 1 lb andouille sausage, pound or so of shredded roasted chicken. Bacon grease and flour for the roux. Filet. Y'all know the rest...!

Paul

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 07:44:38 PM »
Sorry Paul I meant to say year instead of class. Please feel free to add the pictures here if you want to, I would love for everyone to see and here your commentary on your dad's building progress. I know you made a few videos, I am not sure how to post them but it would be great to see them here if you can figure out how to post them.

Jim
Jim Parker

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 11:49:36 PM »
A few closeups of the carving on the Lancaster I was working on. Engraving by Jim.

And one of Pop. Plans on the wall are from Eric Von Aschwege for a Peter Niehart.

Finally, Pop and Jim working on the wrap around nose cap.

https://youtube.com/shorts/LVjOTxDRfxs?feature=share

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 08:03:38 AM »
Thanks for adding the pictures and the YouTube link.  ;D ;D
Jim Parker

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 02:25:47 PM »
Great..!

Bob

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 02:44:18 PM »
That sure is a nice looking patchbox. 

Offline archer829

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 04:22:23 PM »
That is a nice looking patchbox!  Wow!