Author Topic: Messy bench  (Read 1027 times)

Offline flehto

Messy bench
« on: October 14, 2022, 02:25:57 AM »
I was a tool and diemaker for a few years and we had approx. 110 toolmakers in the toolroom and 20 mins daily  before quitting time, the company wanted us to clear our benches and paid us to do so. Why? Ir was economics because the next AM we were all set to go and besides, the "mess" will probably get worse in a few days if unattended to and  all the wasted search time for tools, etc could be more costly for the company. I thought this was a good practice and although my MLer building was a hobby, my bench was not messy. Searching for tools was not only considered wasted time but an interruption of the building process.......Fred

Offline Darkhorse

Re: Messy bench
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 03:51:14 AM »
I was a tool maker also, for about 12 years and we too were on a mandate to clean out work area. The main thing was hand tools. I worked on a active Air Force base and FOD (Foreign object disposal) was the big thing. Right outside our building F15's and other models were constantly taking off and landing. And nobody wanted a tool with their number ending up inside a blown engine.
Of course this was a good practice. But my work area now is definetly messier.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Fly Navy

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 07:39:22 AM »
Before I retired I worked on Navy Aircraft. We had a pretty large crew and we all had are own "controlled rollaway". At the end of the day if any tool was missing from anyone's box, no one went home until that tool was that tool was found. You never wanted to be the person with a missing tool at the end of the day!

Offline kutter

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 03:09:29 PM »
You wouldn't like the looks of my benches!