Author Topic: Thoughts for Identifying an Unsigned Southern Pistol  (Read 834 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Thoughts for Identifying an Unsigned Southern Pistol
« on: August 14, 2023, 08:12:45 PM »
I recently acquired a small, unsigned southern pistol, stocked in curly maple, that I think was made by Pleasant Wilson of Clay County, Kentucky, down in Kentucky's southeastern hill country. I'd like to get opinions from others on where they think the pistol may have been made. My reasoning for a possible Pleasant Wilson attribution includes:

1. He made southern style, iron mounted guns in curly maple with distinctive architecture [among the best in KY].
2. His front triggers have a small, rectangular tab behind them, very much like the trigger on this pistol.
3. He made very slim, delicate stocks... and this pistol is slim with a thin butt/grip.
4. He used small, oval inlays with a center pin... not the lozenge-shape with pointed ends seen on many southern pistols.
5. He at times used small, unique details not common to southern guns... and this pistol has no wedge, an odd-shaped lock plate, very southern style finial on the guard, and an odd-shaped side lug for the nipple.
6. He used small ovals for his thumb inlay, with center pin attachment.

That's a lot of "small stuff" with no single large, defining detail, but it tips me toward a Pleasant Wilson attribution. Dimensions are: barrel 4-1/4"; across flats 13/16"; bore .43 caliber; total length 7-3/4"

Shelby Gallien

For comparison purposes, here's a Pleasant Wilson rifle to check details with.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 03:26:35 AM by Tanselman »

Offline dadybear1

Re: Thoughts for Identifying an Unsigned Southern Pistol
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 11:04:50 PM »
NICE LOOKING OLD PISTOL---THANKS

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 11:59:20 PM »
Interesting pistol but an even more interesting rifle.Is the rifle signed with a name or initials?
Bob Roller

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 12:40:48 AM »
Bob...

The rifle is signed/stamped "P. Wilson" in small block letters. From all my years chasing this KY stuff, it's the finest Pleasant Wilson rifle known, and exceptional for a hill-country rifle where hard money was almost non-existent and decorative details rarely used. I have two fine P. Wilson rifles, owned another at one time, and know of a 4th one that is badly damaged. Not a lot of them out there. The large majority of KY's hill-country rifles were basic tools that were heavily used, worn out, and simply didn't survive. This one wandered up into southern Ohio and survived... but then, it was a lot better than the average hill-country rifle. I will add a full-length view of the rifle, so you can see how superb the stock architecture really is.

Another thought on P. Wilson's stocking... note the rifle was stocked with a low-cut blank, with good grain flow through the wrist to help prevent breakage. Then notice the pistol, again with grain curling down through the grip area. A normally stocked pistol would have its grip broken into two pieces where this one cracked... but this one has stayed together due to the stronger, curving grain pattern. It's just another higher quality detail Pleasant Wilson liked to use to elevate his work above that of his peers.

If anyone gets an inch to learn more about Kentucky's early guns and Tansel powder horns, www.kentuckygunmakers.com can help cure the itch.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 08:04:39 AM by Tanselman »