Author Topic: Robbins Lock information  (Read 1031 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Robbins Lock information
« on: November 07, 2022, 08:26:17 PM »
 Looking for information on a Robbins flint lock.  I believe they were made in the 60-70s. This lock has a busted main spring and would like to find a replacement.
 Tried the usual places any leads would be appreciated. T.I.A.
  Oldtravler

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Robbins Lock information
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 09:08:06 PM »
The only Robbins flintlock that I ever encountered was back around 1980 and a friend asked me if I could replace it in an existing rifle because of its small, anemic main spring.
I wonder if the broken spring in your lock was the result of someone trying to re-temper it to get some more power out of it?
Anyway good luck on your search.  It’s a long shot at best.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 11:18:15 PM »
If you have the "parts", you could CA them together and check with track's catalog with 1:1 scale parts pictures.
A bit tedious perhaps, but likely an option for replacement.
A replacement lock might be a better idea, again, length of throw and lock plate matching the Robin's lock.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 11:38:45 PM »
I met Harold Robbins at Friendship in the late 1960's (I think).He was confined to a wheelchair fro a bad fall from a high roof and did all his lock work from a sitting position.It's not easy work to do even if you're fully mobile and I know Harold had some problems with his lock and trigger making.He had Hawken trigger guards made and I bought one and used it on a "Hawken" I made in 1968.I did tell him about the easy to work spring steel I used and told him where to buy it and one time I offered tp share display space with him but he thanked me and declined the offer because he was leaving  that afternoon.I don't know if anyone continued with his locks and triggers after he passed away.
Bob Roller

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 11:48:29 PM »
Could you post a picture of the spring.  A while back someone was looking for a forged mainspring and I posted a picture of assorted springs that I have.  There were a bunch of weak mainsprings in that batch.  They are old and there must have been a market for them back then.  Maybe one will fit your lock.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 12:18:10 AM »
Try Cabin Creek, they might be able to make one for you.

Online Levy

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 07:42:57 PM »
I've never seen a Robbins flintlock, but maybe the mainspring from one of his percussion locks, which are more common, might fit.  Just a thought.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline LynnC

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 07:45:29 PM »
I bet you can find a close size spring but you may have to plug and redrill the for the pin on your new spring. I’ve had to do it and as long as its close to original position it worked fine.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......