Author Topic: Hawken Hammer  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Hawken Hammer
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2022, 01:26:25 AM »
Track also sells them.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2022, 06:20:54 AM »
Honestly? If the lock was not cut for the the breech you put the plate in the wrong place. With an uncut lock you use the hammer to determine where the lock is placed. Its like aligning the pan with the vent on a flintlock.
Trace the lock plate on the stock at the approximate location, looks right, fits the wrist etc, tracing the tumbler hole. Then try the hammer on the drawing shifting it around till  it will strike the nipple. Note it will likely need some adjustment to properly strike the nipple, I use an acetylene or Mapp gas torch. Usually nees to be bent toward the bore.
If the lock plate is precut in the wrong place then you need a different hammer or a welder.
I agree with Dphariss. I think you need to slow down and think it over. Maybe it's just the picture but the lock doesn't look like it's lined upright on the stock.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline taterbug

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2022, 06:06:23 PM »
in MB's defense, I've seen this same thing with that breech/tang/ lock plate combo.  Then throw in the less-than ideal pre-carve inlet, this is where you end up...

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2022, 07:13:36 PM »
There is always THAT solution, Paul.
Yup -- I got better things to do than try to bend a hammer that much and maybe break it then I will have to buy a new one so for me I will just buy it now and be done with it ;D

In addition to the possibility of breaking the hammer, as mentioned above, if you succeed in bending it, you will have changed the angle of the bottom of the cup to the top of nipple.  This can cause unreliable percussion cap detonation.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2022, 08:44:41 PM »
Re-inlet the tang until it is seated against the precarved inloet, and move the barrel down about 1/32"...that'll about do it.  You may have to do some filing on the plate to accommodate the snail.  There's no reason that hammer cannot work.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 08:57:08 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2022, 09:57:34 PM »
That angle at the bottom of the hammers cup is fairly easy to recut to the right angle giving it a "square" strike to the nipple/cap.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2022, 03:52:10 AM »
After reading your post, Taylor and re-looking at the pictures, it is very easy to see your "point"!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Built 1st gun in dorm room at college
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2022, 06:44:14 AM »
Taylor has the right approach.  I would also add that checking the fit of breech to tang and correcting ( CAREFULLY). The tang to breech fit will also help this situation by partially closing up the ( apparent) gap there.   Looking at the picture I would think that the lock inlet is biased  somewhat. ( tipped  down toward the front which could cause this situation.)
Mike Mullins

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2022, 04:21:49 PM »
... a bigger hammer.

In the past, I've used this approach on "many things". 99% of the time it didn't work out.....but that was on "non-BP" matters.   ;) ;D