Author Topic: Hawken question  (Read 1184 times)

Offline L. Akers

Hawken question
« on: November 22, 2022, 04:03:55 AM »
Do Hawken rifles have a screw that goes through the trigger plate and threads into the bottom of the standing breech?

Offline RAT

Re: Hawken question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 05:14:43 AM »
I don't believe I've ever seen a photo showing a screw that goes trough the trigger plate for this. I've never had the opportunity to remove a trigger plate from an original Hawken rifle to see if there is a screw hidden beneath the plate. The one original I had the opportunity to examine did not have a hole extending through the (hook) opening in the tang for a screw (we removed the barrel).  In addition, there was no shallow hole in the bottom of the breech plug hook (makes sense). I've seen photos of English rifles that did have this hole visible. Both the through hole in the tang and the shallow hole in the hook. So my guess based on this limited experience is "no".
Bob

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 05:58:10 AM »
I agree with Bob. It’s a no.
Andover, Vermont

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 01:23:17 PM »
I have never seen it pictured in everything I've read about Hawkens. Never seen it in blueprints or plans.
Really there is absolutely no need for that set up since there are two tang bolt the screw into the trigger plate.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 03:59:52 PM »
I have never seen it pictured in everything I've read about Hawkens. Never seen it in blueprints or plans.
Really there is absolutely no need for that set up since there are two tang bolt the screw into the trigger plate.

Maybe Herb can set this straight. IF I were going to make another "Hawken" it would have 2 machine screws
threaded thru the the trigger bar from the top. My one and only "Hawken" wasdone that way.
Bob Roller

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 08:33:20 PM »
There is an example of at least one Hawken that had this feature. A screw going from just in front of the trigger bow and up to the sanding breach. I found it in the James Gordon book III that covers the mountain rifles. The rifle uses a pineapple finial trigger pate  with a screw just in front of the trigger bow.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Herb

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 10:51:32 PM »
The rifle Dave B references is on page 364.  It has a long breech tang held on by two wood screws, not bolts to the trigger plate.  The hole in the front trigger plate finial is for a wood screw.  Four of five "sporting rifles" in Gordon's book have the trigger plate held on with wood screws.  The fifth one (page396) has a short breech tang with one wood screw.  The guard is pinned to the stock front and rear.  The one on page 392 has a short breech tang held with one wood screw.  The trigger guard is screwed to the wood front and rear.  The one on page 393 has a long breech tang with two wood screws.  The trigger guard is held with a wood screw front and rear.  The rifle on page 394 has a long breech tang held with two wood screws.  Wood screws front and rear hold the trigger guard.  The rifle on page 395 has a long breech tang held with two wood screws.  The trigger guard is held with wood screws.  None of these five rifles have a hooked breech. So, no, there is no pictured Hawken rifle with a screw that goes from the trigger plate into the bottom of the standing breech.  It is unlikely that any were made that way.
The James Dunn rifle on page 365 has the breech tang held with wood screws.  The trigger plate is held with a screw at rear and is pinned at the front.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 11:03:46 PM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 11:37:31 PM »
Herb thank you for your correction of my understanding my speculation on that screws application. I am not at my computer to look at my Hawken photos but one other rifle with a similar finial but the trigger bar has tang bolts that screws that thread into it.  I dont think their is screw trough the finial. It is the rifle made for the riverboat magnat that has silver hardware.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 04:10:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I figured someone here would know.

Offline RAT

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 03:47:31 PM »
Dave... that would be the Atchison rifle. The short trigger plate is fastened with 2 through bolts. The front bolt comes down from the tang, and the rear bolt comes up from the trigger plate and screws into the bottom of the tang. The trigger guard is a longrifle style guard that is pinned (front and rear) to the stock. All the mounts are fine silver (not German silver). The Atchison rifle is one of two that I'm aware of with a single set trigger. That means there were more made that way. The April 1981 issue of Muzzle Blasts has photos of the trigger and trigger guard removed.

Herb... Thanks! That is fantastic info! When I get a chance I'll have to save this. The timing is perfect. I just ordered my copy of Jim's books.
Bob