Author Topic: Touch hole liner  (Read 5624 times)

billd

Touch hole liner
« on: November 06, 2009, 04:24:27 AM »
I'm building a 12 ga. fowler, one of Chambers kits. It came with a 5/16 liner. Is there any reason I can't use a 1/4" liner. I have them and the 1/4" tap but not a 5/16th.

Thanks,
Bill

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Touch hole liner
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:42:14 AM »
When I use a liner it is usually a 1/4" white lightning but they are a 1/4-32 thread and take a #3 drill bit. I like the finer thread and the smaller diameter lets you get a little closer to the breech plug.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 04:42:50 AM »
No, there is no reason not to use it.  They recommend the 5/16" liner because the breech will accommodate it.  Actually, I'd use their 3/8" liner for a big bore like that.  I have one in my Bess and love it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

northmn

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 03:32:46 PM »
A 1/4 inch would work fine.  There is a theory which I ascribe to, that states that the larger vent liners permit a larger cone whcih in turn puts a little more powder closer to the flash for more reliable ignition.  On a fowler I would also drill the vent out with at least a #50 drill bit for a .070 hole.  You could possibly go up to a 5/64.  As to placement in front of the breech. many like to clear the breech plug with their liners.  With a Colerain barrel and a breech at .55 length that works fair.  Most square breech plugs unless shortened or counterbored will place the lock a little too far ahead for proper geometry.  An old "standard" was to have the gate of the pan even with the breech.  Another theory is that you want the ignition as close to the rear as possible.  They used to cut a V in the face of the breech plug to do so.  In my builds I either counter bore the breech face or drill into the breech plug to install a liner.  If you drill into the breech face you have to be careful not to get an oval hole.  Often have to use a Dremmel with grinder to finish off.  About the only use for a Dremmel in building.

DP

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 05:57:47 PM »
We base appropriate liner size off the diameter of the barrel.  Assuming that the bigger the barrel the more powder charge you will have the bigger liner will put a more/broader heat source through to it quicker than a smaller liner.  However, in terms of speed of firing it is probably not noticeable to the shooter.  Here's the break down on liners verses barrel size.

Breech diameters 15/16" or smaller take a 1/4" liner.
Breech diameters 15/16" up to 1" 1/4" take a 5/16" liner.
Breech diameters 1" 1/4" or bigger go with a 3/8" liner.
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Black Hand

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 06:05:37 PM »
For the price of a drill bit and tap, this seems a moot point.....

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 06:32:20 PM »
You aren't kidding I hate ordering those things cause each time the price goes up!  Not to mention they've changed brands, or configurations again.  I always hate it when I hear "We no longer carry that kind, but we have a substitution for it."  What I hear is "We found a new brand that we can charge more for and make more money so we aren't going to carry the other anymore."
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 06:33:31 PM »
Bigger hole, weaker breech. I don't think you will see any difference between a 3/8" and a 1/4".

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »
      One factor to consider in not using a 3/8 liner is you have no place to go in case of a screw up.  I stick to 1/4 & 5/16.  If you start with a 3/8 liner and have to drill it out to replace it and something goes wrong, you have a really big hole in the back of your barrel to deal with.  For most applications the 1/4 liner is just fine, especially the White Lightning liners.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

northmn

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 08:56:14 PM »
      One factor to consider in not using a 3/8 liner is you have no place to go in case of a screw up.  I stick to 1/4 & 5/16.  If you start with a 3/8 liner and have to drill it out to replace it and something goes wrong, you have a really big hole in the back of your barrel to deal with.  For most applications the 1/4 liner is just fine, especially the White Lightning liners.   

I would not argue that point either, unless you are one of those that never screw up.  Funny how we have gotten attached to the liners as they were rare on originals, which did work without them.

DP

jwh1947

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 12:00:59 AM »
Northmn, you took the words right out of my mouth.  I have never had a problem with a regular touch hole.  I use a #50 drill, as recommended by the masters I learned from.  I obviously test fire all of my guns and the last one was a little 3/4 size Lehigh with a Chambers small Siler, stock out of the box.  It fired 20 for 20, which, I concluded, was good enough for my standards.  Another happy customer without a liner.  If the original touch hole wears out (not in your lifetime) someone can then open it up and put in a liner.  This will probably percipitate comments by shooting range physicists telling me of all the fine points I'm missing, and I repeat, 20 for 20 guys.  Also never sold a gun which was returned for a liner, and the whitetails get whacked by them year in and year out.  Biggest cuprit associated with failure to fire...garbage flints.  My favorites are English greys, and get the correct size for your lock.  Incidentally, those machine cut, white double edge ones for sale in the big box stores are good for nothing but picking your teeth.  I sell all my guns with a few spare flints stuck in the patchbox.  It saves both the customer and me a bunch of time.