Author Topic: English Percussion Hunting Rifle a Story of Rebirth  (Read 1274 times)

Offline heelerau

English Percussion Hunting Rifle a Story of Rebirth
« on: December 23, 2022, 10:40:19 PM »
Merry Christmas to You all from Down Under.  A couple of years ago I got wiped out in a bushfire, I lost all my gear. This rifle was gifted to me by a good mate some years ago, and was working up to be a good short range hunting rifle. Its a classic English Percussion hunting rifle of 1850 vintage by Isaac Hollis. I recovered the ironwork from the ashes of my saddle come gunroom, the stock was ash. The barrel was not warped, just a bit of light oxide, lock springs just a little tension left. I had a local stockmaker restock her in English walnut, also re soldered the underbid ( soft soldered as it was originally.  I will reproof the barrel with my normal hunting load of 3 1/2 drams of FFg, a greased felt wad, and a patched .71 ball. I will run callipers over it first, then again after firing it off. Barrel will just be strapped to a heavy board, so if something nasty happens I can at least rebarrel the stock. I have seen the odd story of muzzle loading rifles being brought back into service after a fire,  but not much detail. Other muzzle loaders that were in the house got too hot, the barrels actually burnt, like a shoe over cooked in a forge, so beyond recovery. This rifle is a Damascus barrel so mostly wrought iron, so soft anyway.  She was built for the India market, as a rifle for hunting tiger, so short range, 50 yards and under. The load mentioned gives a poi at point of aim at 50 yards using its only leaf sight. I am putting this up as it may be of interest to some of you if you are faced with having to recover a burnt rifle

Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Daryl

Re: English Percussion Hunting Rifle a Story of Rebirth
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 02:27:44 AM »
The local stock maker appears to have done a good job, heelerou.
Looking forward to hearing how she shoots.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 03:42:37 AM »
Merry Christmas Gordon, nice to hear from you. Let us know how she shoot’s.

Online steven baker

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 12:58:41 PM »
Giday mate, ever considered investing in a fireproof gun vault? Might save a broken heart .Take care Steven [kind Kiwi
neighbor]

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 06:10:34 PM »
Merry Christmas.
Sorry to hear of your fire.   We have problems in Montana. Couple of years back a small rural town got run over by a high wind driven grass fire and most all of it burned to the ground.
Glad you were able to bring the Hollis back to life. 
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline heelerau

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 10:22:44 PM »
Thank you gentlemen, the stock maker has done a really good job, his inletting is second to none, he made the ramrod by splitting down a piece of timber so did it the traditional way. I also salvaged the brass ramrod fittings, they were place back on the new ram rod. The metalwork needs a bit more cleaning up, oxide,
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 10:43:20 PM »
Here's the original, before the fire.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 11:51:09 PM »
Happy Holidays Heelerau, good luck on your project. 95 gr. of powder and a 500+ grain ball sounds very much like a Tiger load. Front and back.  ;D

Offline ScottNE

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2022, 07:44:23 PM »
Very nice. Original guns have a feel that even the best modern-made guns lack, even as the modern copies are usually more accurate, often less liable to suffer an accident, etc. Great to see a beautiful original revived rather than lost forever.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 09:47:25 PM »
If memory serves me right,Gordon was the first one to call me when a rumor started about me having a cardiac event which was bogus.I think it was tied to a money scam.He lost everything he had including an antique vehicle of some kind,I am glad to see this big rifle back in operation and a belated MERRY CHRISTMAS to Gordon and the crew from down under.
Bob Roller