Author Topic: pre carved  (Read 4068 times)

eseabee1

pre carved
« on: November 08, 2009, 03:35:08 AM »
My dad just gave me a nice precarved looks like someone tried to put a barrel into it but gave up. The only thing I see that is wrong with it ,is that the forearm is warped.tha wood has a beautiful curl and the lock area has been also pre inlet he got it at a yard sell for about 2 dollars looks like it is a lanacster style and the barrel is inlet for a swamped barrel. The question I have is if I can salvage it or just use it for fire wood

ironwolf

Re: pre carved
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 03:43:48 AM »
Save it.  The warp will go away when you inlet a barrel and par it down.

Kevin

eseabee1

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 03:54:50 AM »
That is what I thought I know the measurement across the breech is 1" thinking about using a straight barrel not sure because of the weight guess I will just have to take a good look at it

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 03:58:44 AM »
If it is preinlet and precarved, the forearm should be pretty thin already.  If you measure the inlet, you can likely figure out which swamped barrel size it is inlet for, and you will be in business.  Once the barrel is in place, you can press the stock to the barrel and it will most likely be fine.  Most precarved stocks still need a good bit of wood removed from the fore end to get to the final shape.  If that is the type of rifle you have in mind, great buy.  Now to decide what kind of lock it is inlet for.  I would start by looking closely at the Siler as many kits and precarve stocks fit this lock.  Great start.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 07:30:59 AM »
Take it to your favorite muzzleloading gun shop and see what fits(or comes close)  in the barrel inlet. Even if they don't have exactly what you want , you may be able to figure out what weight and maybe even barrel brand it was cut for... worth a try if your headed over there. 

If you decide to burn it, Ill send you my address. Ha-Ha ;D

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
Why not make it into a 1/2 or 3/4 stock if only the forend is warped?

eseabee1

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 05:17:29 PM »
went to the guy s house that had the yard sell this morning still going on he still had the barrel and lock and trigger sold the brass for scrap offered him 200 for it he took the offer 45cal.bwght colerain large siler and bivens style trigger he said  he was just going the scrap that when he had enough steel to take so lets see almost complete gun now to look for the other parts

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »
Great save ESEABE1,
There are projects out there to be saved from oblivion. I find resisting yard sales very difficult for just this reason. People are always getting rid of something that is perfectly good for next to nothing. I picked up a nice .50 cal hawken  for $50 bucks that some one abandoned because the nose had broken off the sear. It was an easy fix.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 10:42:04 PM »
Perfect!  A happy ending!  :D
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"