Author Topic: Now you be the judge  (Read 24595 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Now you be the judge
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »
There is no easy solution.  Builders are going to have problems with the judging, and judges have a thankless job, and everybody wants the judging to continue.  Everything has been said.

It is obviously not easy to communicate that the standard is an ideal that the judges have arrived at in their minds.   No recreation of an existing rifle, no matter how excellent that original was or how superb the recreation is, is given allowance for variation from the ideal. 

It is difficult to know that judge's mind, let alone agree with it.

Builders will continue to do a lot of research and carefully work within a particular style as evidenced by one, two, three or four examples of work and will produce guns that are superb re-creations within the context of existing, original, landmark arms. 

If the judges think, "Verner" when they think Bucks County, then rifles like those of Shuler or Weiker or unsigned rifles with Bucks County characteristics blended with Lehigh characteristics (as many originals were) will not hit the mark for the judges.  That's life; we need to accept that and move on.  It is helpful to discuss this here so entrants know what to expect and take the best from what the judges do out of the goodness of their hearts and love of the craft and craftsmen.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
Re: Now you be the judge
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2008, 04:29:33 PM »
As I stated much earlier, the objective of my original post was not to bash the judges at the Fair.  I posted what I made and a synopsis of their comments so others could see how the work was viewed by the judges.  I thank them for the time they took in reviewing my rifle. 

I learned a lot during the build; but what I learned came from trying to get the architecture right, trying to get the carving to look like "real carving", trying to get the basics of engraving under control.  These were all new achievements for yours truly.  What I learned will go into every other rifle I build.

The fact that the judges saw some merit I what I built is gratifying.  The fact that they disagreed with other design and execution decisions I made is an indication that there is more out there to learn.

Best Regards,

John Cholin